DD’s Spring Manager - Rec.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just found out DD’s 12U fall ball manager is going to be her Rec. Spring Manager. Our Team played his a few times last year so I have an idea how he coaches during the spring too.

He is not for everyone but he fits our family’s personalities well. Winning games and favoring his child seems to be a lower priority then some of the other Managers.

Jun 13, 2011
Billerica, MA
I am a head coach of a few teams through the year and I try to avoid any favoring of my DD. No coach can make everyone happy. If it is a fit for you that is all that matters. We have a few coaches in town that people either love or hate as well.

At the end of the day you and your DD have to interact with the coach so it is best for everyone to get along obviously.

While I do enjoy winning, teaching is more important to me. I am always watching how the girls field, and the path of their swing. I try to help them learn the game and if that pays off in wins great if not then I am happy with how far they have come in our time together.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Based on your response I would be happy with DD on your Team too.

The official Team Rosters have not been announced so I have not shared with DD yet in case something changes but she likes him a lot and will be very happy. He provides players opportunities, if that makes sense.

Jan 25, 2011
It sounds like your dd will have a good time and learn alot.I hope you guys have a good season.Good luck

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
DD's coach seems to be of the same mindset . She is really pushing developing the team over the long haul , winning games will come ;)

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
Teach them tho play the game the right way and the wins will take care of themselves. If the teaching and playing are fun then next year you have returning players that can play. There is nothing better than all the kids on your team looking at you at the end of the year telling you they want to play for you next year.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
"Athletes first, winning second."

I'm currently taking a course at my college (for a minor in Coaching/Exercise Leadership!) which leads to a certification through ASEP (American Sport Education Program). The quote above is their motto. Good coaches are focused on the long haul. They want to see their athletes achieve... they aren't focused only on winning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck