Daughter's AP classes do not allow extra credit work to count towards college grade

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I'm glad my daughter found this out before I shelled out the money for those classes to count towards her college grades in 2nd semester. Nothing worse than starting your college career with an 3.0 when a 3.4 is needed for playing time.

Like I told her, continue taking the classes and then you will be more familiar in college. Just an FYI to consider for those whom school isn't the easiest.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I guess you can't say where she is going to college, but a 3.4 is really high, for playing time. Is she still a senior and she was going to get college credit for AP classes?

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
She's a junior. She would get credit for the classes provided the college per hour cost was paid. She can still take them for regular HS class needs, which she will.

I agree it is pretty high for a gpa, but I'm all for kids needing to be responsible at school. :)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD wishes she never took an AP class. They are much harder in HS than the equivalent course in college and more expensive. Unless you plan to graduate in 3 years, what is the rush?

Jul 1, 2010
When you talk about costs, are you talking about the cost to take the AP exams? My experience is that if you do well (4 or 5) on the exam you can save money on classes at college. Of course, you must score well enough for your chosen school to accept the exam.

As far as the class itself, most of my former students say they are glad to have taken them because they are better prepared for college academics. Most would agree with RB's assessment that their AP classes were tougher than college equivalents.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Mine will continue taking the classes but will not be contributing financially towards having the grades count towards her college curriculum. She will be glad to hear that they are somewhat easier in college as currently she begs for extra credit to maintain her HS gpa.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You have to really research how each university handles AP classses. Some don't accept them at all, others accept the credit for required classes but do not apply the credit hours towards graduation requirements. Some accept them as if you took the class's at the university and its accepted no problem. However from the 6 schools I have visited I don't recall a single one using the HS grade toward the
College GPA. They just accept the credits or not. Now I know that many schools do not accept the honor point that most HSs add to the HS GPA. so if you take AP lit and get a B your HS might call that a 4.0 but the University of Michigan will recalculate your GPA with that counting as a 3.0.

And that's not even considering the AP test score. Different schools have different requirements for what score they will accept.

Bear in mind that one of the top conditions most top colleges look at is the rigor of the HS academic schedule. Those AP classes are harder and therefore regardless of how they handle the credits, colleges like that.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
My DD is a sophomore and I limited her to 2 Honors classes this year (she took 3 last year). The only reason that I let her do 2 is because they are now "weighted" and so she can get better than a 4.0 in those two classes which could help her GPA (she currently has a 3.8). The other stipulation was that she couldn't have anything other than an elective her last hour so she isn't missing a core class when she has to leave early for a game. Her school has almost 1,300 students so it has been a challenge to make her schedule work but the counselor has been a great help because she wants her in those higher level classes. We will make the AP decision next year...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You have to really research how each university handles AP classses. Some don't accept them at all, others accept the credit for required classes but do not apply the credit hours towards graduation requirements. Some accept them as if you took the class's at the university and its accepted no problem. However from the 6 schools I have visited I don't recall a single one using the HS grade toward the
College GPA. They just accept the credits or not. Now I know that many schools do not accept the honor point that most HSs add to the HS GPA. so if you take AP lit and get a B your HS might call that a 4.0 but the University of Michigan will recalculate your GPA with that counting as a 3.0.

And that's not even considering the AP test score. Different schools have different requirements for what score they will accept.

Bear in mind that one of the top conditions most top colleges look at is the rigor of the HS academic schedule. Those AP classes are harder and therefore regardless of how they handle the credits, colleges like that.

Good point. Each school is different. Some credits apply some don't. Some take the highest test score others don't. Unfortunately that weighted HS GPA means little to the admissions folks. Core classes only, no underwater basket weaving.

Mar 26, 2013
As others posted, don't rely too much on the HS's weighted GPA because many colleges either use the non-weighted GPA or limit the number of bonus grade points that can be used.

Also be aware that many colleges drop the +/- on grades, so the difference between a B+ and an A- is the same as a B and an A. Monitor how they're doing in their HS classes to avoid losing full grade points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball