Dad's 'old ways' messing up batting - what to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
I have a girl that has been with me 4 years. She knows the game well and has improved each year. Each year she starts out batting great as my lead off. Takes pitches confident that she will put it in play or be walked.

The past few games she has been rolling her hands over at or before contact and not getting the power she had to start the season. I hear through the fence dad yelling about extending the right arm and having straight arms at contact. The next game she said her dad has been working with her, I asked her to swing and she is doing just that extending her arms, instead of keeping the right elbow bent and getting palm up/ palm down at contact. I talked with my assistant and she noticed the same thing last night.

How do I tell/ask the parents to stop coaching at home? Do I just single them out or do I address it as a team to then make sure everyone pays attention.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Talk to the parent. Show him what you want him to teach. Tell him if he keeps teaching his daughter the way he has been, she'll soon be batting 10th.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
How do I tell/ask the parents to stop coaching at home?

You do not, you might be in a really good place here. Set aside some time to discuss with the dad what you are working on and why. Spend a ½ an hour with him discussing hitting. Hopefully you can come to an agreement and she might come back better than ever working outside practice.

Maybe say you are going to send DD home with what you would like her to work on and that if he has any questions drop you an Email or discuss with you at usual time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball