D-II Softball??? News!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The day I have dreaded for so long has come. We left BB's apartment about a half hour ago. She is devastated. One of the hardest things is watching the game end knowing that I can't make it any better for her. I've tried to tell her that softball is something that she does and not who she is. However, that has fallen on deaf ears and so, the end was so much worse. The sun will come up tomorrow and she will be just fine. Still, tonight is going to be tough.

Thanks to all of you who have followed BB's career. I'll post more later and wrap up this journey.

Dec 13, 2014
CB, Funny when me and you started chatting privately we had a lot in common . Ali and BB being seniors, decorated players and a chance to meet in OK. Now both going out at the same time. A hit or two away from their dream is tough, but they will get over it and get on with their lives. A quick vent recap of our 2 losses. 15 innings, Ali had another 200 plus pitch count, Got tied up with 1 out in the seventh on a 2 run HR(ouch). Game 2 ,Gave up one legit hit a grand slam, walk HBP Err,Slam. Thought she was getting squeezed and as luck would have it the one hitter in the lineup that she had to pitch around comes up with the bases loaded . 2 close ones for balls, brings it in a little more and the kid was looking for it (double ouch). Reason we are not going to OK was that we went from scoring 5.5 runs per game to 1.5 in the tourney against the same pitching . Not a pitchers dad blaming the hitters because Ali was part of it . She was in a hitting slump along with the whole team.
CB it is a weird feeling knowing this day has come. When we look back at it we can do so with pride. And our two young ladies are going to continue to make us proud.
Funny how earlier we said there was only going to be one way that BB would face Ali and then to come that close. Im just pissed off that me and you couldn't have a beer together.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
CB, Funny when me and you started chatting privately we had a lot in common . Ali and BB being seniors, decorated players and a chance to meet in OK. Now both going out at the same time. A hit or two away from their dream is tough, but they will get over it and get on with their lives. A quick vent recap of our 2 losses. 15 innings, Ali had another 200 plus pitch count, Got tied up with 1 out in the seventh on a 2 run HR(ouch). Game 2 ,Gave up one legit hit a grand slam, walk HBP Err,Slam. Thought she was getting squeezed and as luck would have it the one hitter in the lineup that she had to pitch around comes up with the bases loaded . 2 close ones for balls, brings it in a little more and the kid was looking for it (double ouch). Reason we are not going to OK was that we went from scoring 5.5 runs per game to 1.5 in the tourney against the same pitching . Not a pitchers dad blaming the hitters because Ali was part of it . She was in a hitting slump along with the whole team.
CB it is a weird feeling knowing this day has come. When we look back at it we can do so with pride. And our two young ladies are going to continue to make us proud.
Funny how earlier we said there was only going to be one way that BB would face Ali and then to come that close. Im just pissed off that me and you couldn't have a beer together.

Gronk, thanks a bunch. I hope it is alright now to mention that Gronk's daughter Ali, is one of the finest pitchers and hitters in the nation. Ali has scores of awards and it is apparent that she is a hard charger. I too wanted to see them (BB and Ali) play as well as get to meet you in person in Oklahoma City. For BB's team, there were things I can't mention but that made it apparent that they were not going to make it. These last few games were nothing but pure guts by many team members. One of the toughest things to hear last night from BB was, "Dad no matter how hard I've worked my entire life, I just wasn't good enough." I tried to tell her that in four of her last seven games, she faced the young lady that leads the nation in strike outs. That has a lot to do with her lack of success as well as team hitting. My wife and I will head over in a minute or two to try to take her out for breakfast. Again, I'll post a wrap up or make a new thread about the wrap up later.

Gronk, Congratulations to you and your family. You have so much to be proud of. Congratulations to Ali. She has set the bar very high at her school and in her conference. The hurt will pass for both Ali and BB. At some point, they will recognize what they have really accomplished which is so much more than what they have done on the softball diamond itself.

Dec 13, 2014
DD said to me today that she didn't feel like she had her top velocity yesterday. I'm guestimating around 900+ pitches in a 9 day period. And the few innings she didn't pitch she played right field. Guess when she told the coach it was her last year that she would do whatever she could, the coach took her seriously.
Quick rules question about HBP. Girl is hit on the hands on a check swing. That is a HBP. But is it not almost certain that her hands would not be in the batters box so it would not be a HBP but rather be called a ball or strike depending on the balls' location .Thanks.

Feb 14, 2010
CB & Gronk,

Tell your DD's to keep their heads up. It's obvious from reading your posts that they are 2 extraordinary fine young woman and as a father that's all you can ever ask of your kids. Well done dads, well done.

I'm getting ready to embark on the journey you are finishing up and I hope I can do it with as much class as you 2.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
BB has been named a NFCA 3rd Team All American. We attended the banquet last night in Oklahoma City. That ended at 9:37 and so, I drove home (8 hours) so that I could be in school today. I am tired. BB was just told she is also a Daktronics Homorable Mention All American. This is a very nice way to end her career.

There is one more award she is anxious about but I think she might have missed out on it. She wants to be a Capital One Scholastic All American. That one might help her get a job. LOL!

Dec 13, 2014
CB, Following the games?? Hows BB at watching? Ali still stinging a little knowing we could be right in there with any of them. And you guys the same. Probably 20 or so teams in the same boat but you have to give credit to the 8 that made it. Did you see your nemesis got beat. Congrats to BB on All American.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Congrats back for Ali being named All American. BB doesn't want to know anything about these games but I watched the U Indy game. Would make a comment or two but it would sound classless and so ... Yes, the 8 teams that made it are the ones standing and so deserve every bit of their success. In watching the games, it is hard knowing that we are not there but we had run out of gas and so, who is to say what would have happened.

Gronk, when I get a chance, I'll send you a pm. Maybe tomorrow.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Obviously, I am a proud dad so please forgive me. Today, BB received, perhaps, her most important award. She has been named Second Team Academic All American. They list her GPA at 3.52 but on UMSL's website where I check her grades, it list her GPA as 3.77. That doesn't matter since she received the award. BB is the 11th athlete in the history of UMSL to receive this award. When I think back to my college days and playing against UMSL in college myself, that blows my mind that she is the 11th athlete to receive this award. Today, she will be moved out of her apartment. The end really is here.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I wish BB all the best for her future. It's been enjoyable to follow her journey, even from a far distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi