Critic DD's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2012
DD just turned 12 yesterday and has been working hard on improving her swing. We would like to have you guys critic her swing. We’re looking for a path forward on what we should be working on.

Slow Motion
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yJ4nVlYel9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Full Speed
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U-3Vm3E8SPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I like looking at full speed vid, but I do like what it looks like she is doing.

Things I would work on:
It looks like she is getting stretched around her rear leg. Keep working with her on getting that stretch tight and holding it. My best girls respond well to hitting 45 degrees open front toss, and have taken to using an open stance in the game swings. Work on feeling the tight stretch with minimal movement back around...different bends in the knee and at the waist...until the stretch is tight.

Second, I would move the tee just inside her front foot and work on sending the barrel backwards against the tight stretch she has at launch. I see the force from her hands going down toward knob of the barrel when she launches the bat. Think about her top hand force pulling a bit away from the handle <---l and the bottom hand force pulling a bit away from the handle l---> so as her rear hip is pulling the bat forward her hands are pulling the barrel of the bat backwards against that hip pull until it releases.

So let her rear hip engine bring the bat to the ball, and give her hands and forearms a new job of taking the barrel, or top of the bat away from the ball.

agonflick_zps9110ded2.gif

Top hand is pulling toward the catcher, bottom hand is pulling toward the pitcher ^^^^

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Agree with RHC ... much prefer full speed video.

About "getting stretched around her rear leg" ... make this happen while going 'forward'. Have the rear hip moving forward during the "reading of the pitch".

Apr 23, 2012
Thanks RHC What im hearing you say is she uses her hands to start launching the bat and should be using the pull of the hip more to start the swing. Is this correct?

Also I embeded a full speed video for review in the first post.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Thanks RHC What im hearing you say is she uses her hands to start launching the bat and should be using the pull of the hip more to start the swing. Is this correct?

Also I embeded a full speed video for review in the first post.

CCabreraSwivel.gif

'Turn the barrell' rearward. What do you see starting the swing?
Hips or the internal rotation of the rear leg?
Hint:Watch the stripe.
LongoriaHR.gif

Bustos6.gif

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2012
The first thing you need to do is get those trophy elk off the garage floor and hung up in the living room... :) Sorry I couldn't help it. I do taxidermy for my second job and seeing those on the floor of the garage made me cringe.

Apr 23, 2012
Work put me up in a temp house for 1 year in Michigan and the elk wouldn't fit through the door. LOL Moving to a new house in Texas in June and I made sure this time that they would fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1