crappy conditions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 29, 2010
What do u do with crappy conditions? Cold, windy, rainy. Dd pitching great till the bottom of the 6th, it was drizzling all game and getting colder, then the rain came in the 6th. Umps only had 2 balls, gave one to her coach to keep dry with a towel. Didnt matter, 13-3 turned into 13-8 real quick with no hits. 4 walks, wild pitches, 2 fc that didnt result in outs, a pop up between her and her catcher who dd called off and didnt make play. Coach called a time out, to get her bearings, she was getting frustrated. Finally got out of the inning. Game got called, other pitcher didnt have to pitch.

Heard from my friend (catchers dad) that on bus ride back to school my dd was hard on herself saying she pitched terrible and let her team down and almost lost the game. After words of encouragement from her friend and a couple of are u kidding me. She felt better. At home she said, it wasnt the cold that bothered her (even though her hand was bright red) it was the wetness. The dry ball didnt help her pads of her fingers were wet. She to dry them off, but every inch of her uniform was soaked including the inside of her back pockets. She didnt have a small towel, although it would of got soaked pretty quick.

Sorry for the long rant, what can u do? Will rosin work? Gorilla cloth(forgot name)? Any help greatly appreciated. I was thinking off get her a bucket of water next to her when she practices and submerge her hand in it and then pitch.

Oct 19, 2009
DD ordered her Gorilla Gold off of Hillhouse web sight also.

I take a bucket with water to the field and dip a ball in the water and DD pitches the last 10-15 minutes with a wet ball. Mud collecting on the cleats can also be an issue and the rubber being slick, have to wait for rain to practice that.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
DD's team has used hand warmers. The pitcher keeps one in her back pocket - it helps dry off her fingers and keeps them warm.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I believe Gorilla Gold has recently been approved by NFHS. If I'm not mistaken, I read it on a post on here. I bought several for our TB pitchers and it works very well. It doesn't fight the cold but does give the pitchers a much better grip on the ball. You can get it from Hillhouse or other places on-line. I found the golf version for around $5 a piece and it is the same thing marketed in different packaging.

Dec 29, 2010
Sounds like she survived, so she got stronger.

-W

She did lol. She is 14 and probably tops at 54 on a good day. Great change up, drop ball developing nicely, and works both sides of plate, doesnt care if batters crowd plate she will brush them back. Knows where to throw ball when hit back to her. Imho her best trait is her mental toughness. Wont break down, put it was pushed to the limit yesterday. After every pitch in that 6th inning she would walk to back of circle compose herself, take a deep breath and go for a strike. She was befuddled and a look of "are u kidding me not again" when the ball hit the dirt or sailed wide.

Dropped at her school this morning, when she got out of car I told her supposed to be sunny and 57 with a slight breeze at 430pm today.

She gave me a devilsh grin and said cya there.

Dec 29, 2010
This will be last post in this thread from me. Line yesterday, 6 innnings, 1 hit, 4 walks, 1 hbp, 13ks. Truth be told, it was a weak team, but she knew it after watching their warm ups. Her and her catcher go sleevless (very sunny), showing of their guns :rolleyes: It was breezy and I had even had a jacket on. Kids today, just because it sunny doesnt it mean its warm. Got home, asked her where was her under armour, she said compared to yesterday it felt like florida. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877