Courtesy Runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2013
For some reason DD’s Team is enamored with this. Our league allows a courtesy runner for the P or C at any time, the last batted out is the runner.

Besides being disorganized and slowing the game down they are taking our better athletics off the field.

I am going to talk to the coach about the organization part so I want to get the strategy part down too.

I think the only player that should be replaced is the C with 2 outs so she can get her gear on. Let the players that earned their base stay out there.

Strategy part is the last batted out a better base runner then who she is replacing? If not why do it.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I agree with you. There were many times where my P got on (she was pretty slow) and looking at who made the last out was our slowest runner, ummm yea like that would work.

Apr 1, 2010
Our coach almost always uses a courtesy runner for the P and C, except for the few times he has realized that the player due to be the courtesy runner is very slow. IMO it's not only to buy time to gear up and to get a speed upgrade (although that's generally the case when my DD comes out), but also to protect the pitcher and catcher from accidents on the basepaths and to conserve their energy.

My C DD loves to run the bases, loves to slide, but do you really want her out there running and sliding around aggressively when you might need her to catch multiple games that day?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Yes I do, she earned that.

LOL, well she does still get the enjoyment of running the bases when she plays third.

Seriously, though, I've seen her get so tired that she couldn't catch anymore. Her legs were too tired for her to block or come out of her crouch quickly enough to cover bunts, etc. When she's that tired, her hitting loses its power too, so it's a double-whammy.

Saving her legs is for the good of the team. It's easier for me to accept that now than it would have been a few years ago. ...I do still love to watch her run though. ;-)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
to protect the pitcher and catcher from accidents on the basepaths and to conserve their energy.

This is EXACTLY why I used a coutesy runner for the P/C. If my ace pitcher or #1 catcher get hurt running the bases ( freak accidents ) then a whole season can be flushed down the toilet. Once in a while they do run the bases to stay sharp.

Jul 9, 2012
We use it as a strategy. We set our lineup around it. Our best hitter is our slowest hitter. My second best hitter is my #1 pitcher. I have 3 speed demons. I hit the speed demons 1,2 and 4, the catcher 3 and the pitcher 5. Lead off slaps her way on, number two takes a pitch to let lead off steal second, then number 2 bunts, works a walk or beat out a slap so now 1st and 3rd no outs. Catcher takes a pitch to let the runner take second, then hits something hard somewhere, which at worse has been a sac fly, usually a 2 RBI single, and sometimes a 2 RBI double. Then what happens the speedster that just scored just goes from home back to first. Another speedster comes up, takes a pitch, so we can steal second, then works a walk, or a slap or bunt, boom 1st and 3rd. The pitcher comes up and takes a pitch, now 2nd and 3rd, pitcher hits something hard somewhere, boom we score again, then that person goes and runs for the pitcher. The other teams head is spinning because we look like a track team when in reality I have three kids that can flat fly and two that can hit. We are averaging 2.8 runs scored in the first inning over 34 games. Think about walking into every game knowing you we're going to score 2.8 runs the first time you are up. It puts a ton of pressure on the other team.
Now after the track meet we are simply a regular team with regular strengths and weaknesses. Now when we play in sanctioned state and national championships we change our strategy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom