couple of situations from our tournament this weeknd 12u rec

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2010
Chicago Area
our runner on third was called out for hesitation..the pitcher had turned toward third and raised the ball from her glove with her throwing hand(which blue acknowledged). No one was covering third, my runner did not immediately return to the base, which I thought was allowed if a play was made on her(I was under the impression raising the ball was a play being made). Ump stated "there was no possible play"...? Thankfully we ended up rallying and winning a tie breaker 9-8.

Next game is play in to championship game, we're home, time expired. Bases loaded, one out, tieing run on third. Batter walks, runner from third runs home, and proceeds to dug out. Tie game. Opposing coach appeals that runner missed plate, ump calls her out. He explains that she jumped over the plate. Could she have returned to the field and touched the plate if she had not entered the dug out? Did we have any other recourse? Next batter grounded to pitcher, who threw home for the force. We lose. Pretty devastating way to go...

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
In your first situation, it doesnt matter if there was the possibility of a play or not. If the pitcher is doing something that could be a play, such as raising the ball in the air she is making a play and the lookback rule is off.

Your second situation, what rules set? ASA does not allow a coach to make the appeal, must be one of the defensive players. Although, this is kind of nit picking because if the umpire refuses to accept the coaches appeal he should be smart enough to just have one of his players do it. Also, was this a live ball appeal, or a dead ball appeal? Live ball the player must have been tagged, or home plate touched by a defensive player with posession of the ball while the appeal was made. If it was a dead ball appeal, all they have to do is appeal to the umpire the runner missed the plate. Yes you runner could have retouched the plate prior to entering the dugout as long as a live ball appeal had not been made yet. Once she stepped in the dugout she cannot return to touch. Not sure what recourse you would like to have. Your runners should know to touch any base as they pass it, if they dont they are subject to being called out on appeal.

Apr 9, 2012
In your first situation, it doesnt matter if there was the possibility of a play or not. If the pitcher is doing something that could be a play, such as raising the ball in the air she is making a play and the lookback rule is off.

Your second situation, what rules set? ASA does not allow a coach to make the appeal, must be one of the defensive players. Although, this is kind of nit picking because if the umpire refuses to accept the coaches appeal he should be smart enough to just have one of his players do it. Also, was this a live ball appeal, or a dead ball appeal? Live ball the player must have been tagged, or home plate touched by a defensive player with posession of the ball while the appeal was made. If it was a dead ball appeal, all they have to do is appeal to the umpire the runner missed the plate. Yes you runner could have retouched the plate prior to entering the dugout as long as a live ball appeal had not been made yet. Once she stepped in the dugout she cannot return to touch. Not sure what recourse you would like to have. Your runners should know to touch any base as they pass it, if they dont they are subject to being called out on appeal.

Perfect answer. Well Done Comp.

May 12, 2010
Chicago Area

this was NSA and it was a dead ball appeal, the coach had the pitcher throw to the catcher and the catcher touch home. I have a hard time believing my player jumped over the plate, I have no idea why she would do that, it is rec though. We have to instruct them on nearly everything they do, including tieing their shoes, touching the plate on a walk is something we must've overlooked.
Thanks for your help!

Interesting aside, we saw a runner miss the plate earlier in the game, had our catcher step on the plate, this time the PU said he didn't see it. Asked for help from FU, he said he didn't see her miss the plate but did she her miss third and called her out. The one at the end of the game was payback from the other team I guess. :confused:

Jun 22, 2008
Seriously, umpires are to rule on what they are being asked, not some other play. I realize the call on that play went in your favor, but still, the appeal was on the runner at home, not 3rd base. The base umpire should not have said anything, or called the runner out for missing 3rd until it had been properly appealed.

Just for information purposes, on a dead ball appeal you dont have to throw the ball, tag the base or the runner. You simply have to make the verbal appeal to the umpire. I dont know what NSA rules are on coach vs players making the appeal.

May 12, 2010
Chicago Area
Seriously, umpires are to rule on what they are being asked, not some other play. I realize the call on that play went in your favor, but still, the appeal was on the runner at home, not 3rd base. The base umpire should not have said anything, or called the runner out for missing 3rd until it had been properly appealed.

we were very surprised by the decision the ump made, no arguing from the other side though. This was the same ump that made the hesitation call above.

Just for information purposes, on a dead ball appeal you dont have to throw the ball, tag the base or the runner. You simply have to make the verbal appeal to the umpire. I dont know what NSA rules are on coach vs players making the appeal.

thanks, being rec coaches that do one tournament a year, we aren't really up to speed on the protocol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom