Connector

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sometimes, I feel like a referee at a boxing match:

Take a deep breath, everyone go to a neutral corner, and then continue the discussion with civility and mutual respect.

Jul 14, 2008
OH.......OK.......Guess I totally misunderstood.......My Bad MTS........

Your NOT advocating "hitting with a low elbow"......

You're using "the elbow must go down/up" to keep the barrel higher, and over the deltoid longer and create a good lag position (so to speak)? And create a more angular path (down/up) then level........

I get it now........Thx for clarifying........Sounds like a good "cue" to me.......in the right hands......

Let me retort.

I did not say the elbow doesn't rise - it has to. Pujols, Bonds et al do not suffer from casting - so they are bad examples of what I am talking about. Edmonds does not cast either, but uses a low elbow and did OK.

I don't advocate swinging down - I teach to get the elbow above the plane of the pitch even with a rise ball- although I teach to lay off that pitch if possible.

And when I say I teach a first move down it is more of cue than a actual move, but helps to keep the players from ripping the front shoulder out early. It is one more tool to keep the hands inside. We say "go down to go up" with the elbow.

Benji is another example of a player who sets up with a lower elbow. And Findlay. And Marx.

CaitlinBenji2005UCLA_FView.gif
findlay-2005.gif

marx-multi.gif

Understand that if I have a player that doesn't cast I don't mandate a lower elbow - it is not an absolute. This is something I use for players that do cast.

I expected more out of you. In reading your stuff over the years I never categorized you as a absolutist. The elbow is not an absloute as I just illustrated. Yeah, I know that none of those players are hitting a rise, but I would guess based on their careers that they could.

Basically, my position stands as this: If you have a player that casts, the high elbow (in the shoulder plane or higher) is only going to increase the liklihood that they will cast as the higher elbow locks up the shoulder to the arm. They improve their ability to hit with a cast, but at my level (HS and 18U) I will just keep throwing drops and hard inside and let you hit grounders to my IF. I'll take that everyday.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The problem with the young lady using this device is she cannot slot her rear elbow without pushing her front elbow above her chin. This is the reason for the odd looking hand path. Her rear elbow must stay up in order to keep her front elbow down......So she rides though rotation with a high rear elbow, which is why the seqeunce "looks odd". It's actually the reverse of what your eyes want to see.........

IMO this young lady has an incorrect mental image of the swing. Here she is performing another slow-motion swing without the elbow device. You see about the same improper mechanics. Leads me to believe that, at least for this lady, that the problem is not with the device.

sl.gif

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
IMO this young lady has an incorrect mental image of the swing. Here she is performing another slow-motion swing without the elbow device. You see about the same improper mechanics. Leads me to believe that, at least for this lady, that the problem is not with the device.

sl.gif

I did another slo mo on my new post Hitters hand path.

Fiveframe could you take a piece of that and slo it down and post it here for reference.

Thanks
Straightleg

Oct 12, 2009

sl.gif

This is a decent view of what dropping the hands looks like in slow motion.

Look how high her hands start and how she drops them into plane at the last second.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1