connection

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2011
i was at a nfca clinic this weekend and listened to many coaches talking about hitting, and was surprised on how many claim to believe in connection but limit shoulder rotation or dont bring up the shoulders in the swing at all, they only talk about legs and hips then hands. So many coaches are afraid to be catagorized as a "spinner". It seems if you are going to teach connection and rotation those shoulders must be leading the arms and hands.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Plane Truth Blog - Video Analysis Tutorials - Two Plane from Down the Line

This pattern of golf swing is much more similar to the high level/major league baseball swing which is traditionally described as "hips and hands" and "keeping the shoulder in there". otherwise you pull off the ball.

See especially the impact position around the 8 min mark.

-----------

Plane Truth Blog - Video Analysis Tutorials - One Plane from Down the Line

See especially around 7 min mark for comparison of impact/releae part of swing

This pattern golf swing is more like the "PCR" method where you bend over more in your posture and stick the butt out and keep it at or behind the buttline as a counterbalance and focus on actively turning the hips and shoulderdshoulders to power the swing with hands satying in a tight circular path. Very different from the hips and hands/thrust hip/keep shoulde in there swing.

If you swing with body/rear arm action more like a high level overhand throw or emulate MLB hitters, you need to keep the shoulder in there and not pull off the ball.

---------------

Candrea/Enquist following Slaught (baseball mlb catcher/hitter/rightview software developer) have been pushing the if you can throw you can hit/emulate MLB pattern for quite a few years now, see:

Sportskool

One thing they mean by "connection" is a good sequencing/summation of velocity as opposed to too much of a one piece turn like heck "gate swing"

May 22, 2011
tom, thanks for the links, very interesting. I have rightview pro ip300 as2, all of the epstein hitting series and englishbeys swing training dvds. I do understand we dont want to spin off the ball, but even on rightview all the major leagers at contact have their lead shoulder somewhere between 30 to 45 degrees off the imaginery line between the mound and the plate. In slow mo that front elbow begins the upper body movement, but it stays connected to the shoulder, on outside pitches the shoulders obviously arent going to rotate near as much as on an inside pitch,on some of the clips on rv on inside pitches the hitters shoulders are almost 90 degrees. I am interested in any others suggested and info on hitting.

Oct 12, 2009
In some (bad) swings, like the one below, the shoulders pull the hips around (aka a top-down swing).

CIMG2566_C.gif

In a good swing the hips pull the shoulders around.

Telling the player to keep the front shoulder in can help improve the odds that the hips will lead the shoulders, but the shoulders will have to rotate at some point.

A swing with no actual shoulder rotation would be just as bad, if not worse, than a top-down swing.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
well=

Swinging in a 2 plane golf pattern has the feel of sliding the front hip and thrusting the back hip while swinging the arms down and keeping the shoulders closed. The shoulders are not closed at impact, but the feel none the less is trying to keep the shoulders closed letting the arms do the work with the wrists then rolling over.

swinging in the golf 1 plane pattern is more and more popular and includes active turning of the hips and shoulders while the arms stay in tight with much less wrist roll so the turning of the shoulders closes the club face. the body is much more turned at contact/impact, see for example Ricky Fowler or David Duval in his prime:

http://www.planetruthgolf.com/Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/Duval1997.jpg

Hip Turn for Golf and Rickie Fowler - YouTube

Note, this type hip action is for the 1 plane swing, the "flaws" are actually what a 2 plane swinger needs to do (thrust rear hip, pop up/out of spine angle,etc as seen in previous 2 plane analysis

May 22, 2011
chris, i have your dvd also, and i pretty much teach the same mechanics you do, definately want the rotation started with the hips, maintaine the box or triangle etc., just watched prince fielder jack another one and you can bet he wasnt afraid of his shoulders overrotating!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad