Congratulations to Wisconsin pitcher Kirsten Stevens

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Huge congratulations are in order for University of Wisconsin – Madison pitcher Kirsten Stevens on being named the Big Ten Pitcher of the Week. Can’t say it comes as a surprise, though, after the weekend she had.* Kirsten toss not one but two shutouts in earning her third and fourth wins on the season. And […]
b.gif

More...

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Nice to see this.

Wisconsin's team has been fairly weak the past few years. With a stud pitcher, maybe they will have a better team this year.

They really have very few home games every year, because of the weather. (HINT: It is snowing right now in Madison. My DD 3 has played in snow flurries or sleet more than one year in mid-May, which is after the season ends). I will try to get my DD 3 to a game or two, so she can have the chance to see a great pitcher at work. I hope she gets something out of that.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It looks like they may be in pretty good shape this year. They have a couple of strong pitchers, the defense seems to be better than in the past, and they're hitting. Now, they're not playing 100% top-tier teams right now, but they do seem to be playing good, sound softball.

I will probably make it up to at least one game up there, and I'll make at least one when they play Northwestern here at the end of the month. Hopefully they'll still be going strong.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I don't know what games I might go to. I spend about a week every month on business in San Fran. I'm taking family my next two trips, one of which is the week before Easter.
PM me if you know when you will go up, if you do. I would love to see your reaction to the game.

The pitcher is from close to your neck of the woods. Crystal Lake kid who played on Chill.
Did you ever see her pitch in HS?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Nice to see this.

Wisconsin's team has been fairly weak the past few years. With a stud pitcher, maybe they will have a better team this year.

They really have very few home games every year, because of the weather. (HINT: It is snowing right now in Madison. My DD 3 has played in snow flurries or sleet more than one year in mid-May, which is after the season ends). I will try to get my DD 3 to a game or two, so she can have the chance to see a great pitcher at work. I hope she gets something out of that.

Most B1G schools do not schedule any home games until after Spring Break, so they are on the road in February and March.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Most B1G schools do not schedule any home games until after Spring Break, so they are on the road in February and March.

Yes, because it's COLD up here.
Even so, the B1G teams in the lower Midwest generally have home games earlier than B1G teams in the upper Midwest. Columbus and Lincoln are warmer than Madison and Minneapolis.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Yes, because it's COLD up here.
Even so, the B1G teams in the lower Midwest generally have home games earlier than B1G teams in the upper Midwest. Columbus and Lincoln are warmer than Madison and Minneapolis.

If it makes you feel any better it is 65 and sunny in Atlanta!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I don't know what games I might go to. I spend about a week every month on business in San Fran. I'm taking family my next two trips, one of which is the week before Easter.
PM me if you know when you will go up, if you do. I would love to see your reaction to the game.

The pitcher is from close to your neck of the woods. Crystal Lake kid who played on Chill.
Did you ever see her pitch in HS?

Sounds good. I will probably try to make it up there a little later in the season, when hopefully it's warmer. Although we almost hit 70 a couple of weeks ago here in the Chicago area so you just never know. Today we have a little snow on the ground.

Actually, I know Kirsten pretty well. I was her pitching coach, and still work with her occasionally.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Sounds good. I will probably try to make it up there a little later in the season, when hopefully it's warmer. Although we almost hit 70 a couple of weeks ago here in the Chicago area so you just never know. Today we have a little snow on the ground.

Actually, I know Kirsten pretty well. I was her pitching coach, and still work with her occasionally.

Must make you really happy to see your student doing so well. Says a lot about you as a coach, too.

ETA: We hit 70 up here, but it's snowing right now.

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It definitely does. I try not to take too much credit for my students' accomplishments though. I just point the way. It's up to them to walk it.

Hope those 70s come back by the time I head up there. Of course, the weather report will probably play a hand in when I decide to make the trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi