Conduct of an Umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I don't know if the guy is a pervert or not, but if he doesn't know better than to do what he did, he has no business being an umpire around girls.

I don't know why, but some people think it's okay to touch unfamiliar people in the course of normal conversation, even with the best of intentions. It's not okay. Some people have trauma histories, some people are sensory defensive, and some people simply don't like to be touched by people they don't know well.

Feb 3, 2014
Hi all, thank you for the feedback.

I am sad to say that after informing the tournament director of what happened, on the field with the umpire, they have decided to let him continue working games. He showed up at 8AM smug as could be. Went right out on the field (not our game) chest puffed out and all. Apparently he was able to minalmalize the situation enough to appease the director. The director stated "we will keep our eye on him". Sounds very much like a good'ole boy network at its best.

It's quite a shame that our young girls have witnessed one of their own be put in the most uncomfortable of situations and then be completely dismissed by group of male authoritarians. Great life lesson! (Sarcasm) Very disappointing.

As a dad of one of the other girls on the team I am proud of the coach for standing up for the girls and doing the right thing when it happened. Kudos to the young girl as well for having the courage to speak up, it took a lot of guts to do that in the middle of a game.

I am afraid if it was my daughter the ump and I would have had a further discussion in the parking lot away from any kids.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
It sounds like all the teams need to be made aware of what happened and let them all ban together by making it known they will not play if he is allowed to umpire.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I can't imagine showing up again. Let's say he is completely innocent - but girl #2, decides to accuse him of something. There just is no good way for this to end.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I don't know why, but some people think it's okay to touch unfamiliar people in the course of normal conversation, even with the best of intentions. It's not okay. Some people have trauma histories, some people are sensory defensive, and some people simply don't like to be touched by people they don't know well.

Sensory defensive? Does that mean they touch me and I knock the crap out of them?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283