Concussions in female softball players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Some points well made which I am sure are quite valid. However, stats based on information derived from anecdotal evidence are suspect at best and only detract from the underlying message.

Not sure I understand....whether male or female, there needs to be more education on concussions, especially for teachers and coaches. I had two concussions as a kid that I know of. both involved throwing up once, lots of sleep and back to school the next day. my two kids have had 2 - 3 each and they were all different. the first and worst one was avoidable had there been adult supervision. the others were just accidents that happened. the problem that could be fixed is whether or not the kids are allowed to recover.

We made DD suck it up for a week before she went to the doctor. Playing ball, Hockey and going to school, complaining of headaches, etc. I was shocked when I saw her fail miserably at every simple test they gave her in the Doctor's office. If we had done the right thing and brought her to the doctor when it first happened, maybe she would've recovered quicker.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Yes. Ohio has the same thing.

It also extends to all youth sports officials. Unless you take the class, you can't officiate games.

Not so (at least not yet, which is surprising) in California. Concussion protocols have been a very hot topic in our HS umpiring meetings - but not once have I heard that I have to take a concussion protocol class before being allowed to officiate a game. The basic gist of all the "experienced" umpires is that the coaches are responsible for their players - not the umpires.

However, I personally will always err on the side of caution when it comes to player safety. I'll take the hit from the association for not allowing a player to return despite the coach's wailing - better that than the subpoena from the attorney.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
No problem with the mask but definitely not the answer to concussions. The majority in softball are a result of collisions. When the collision is between an infielder and outfielder the mask could cause more harm.

Didn't claim it was the answer to concussions, but it is an answer for some concussions. I will respectfully disagree on the "more harm" idea and leave it there.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yes. Ohio has the same thing.

It also extends to all youth sports officials. Unless you take the class, you can't officiate games.

Just to be clear the Ohio State Legislature enacted a statute mandating the class? You are not referring to a rule or regulation by the State HS Association but an enacted Ohio State law complete with civil and/or criminal penalties? Does this include all levels of play?

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Another issue with concussions is that we tend to think of straight-line impacts, but rotational forces cause them too. What we talk about in football is that you can wrap an egg in bubble wrap and drop it without damage, but if you shake it or twist it, that protection is useless. Helmets and masks, no matter how good(and I am a fan of both) cannot absorb rotational forces.

We have a similar law here in Tennessee. Community based youth leagues and school teams must require concussion training and follow the protocols whenever we 'suspect' a concussion. All in all I am strongly in favor of it.

Unfortunately for my program, our starting shortstop (and the fastest girl I have ever coached) had multiple concussions this fall and winter and will probably miss our entire season. This young lady actually played on MS football team and was the starting safety.
But she was diagnosed with a severe concussion while playing basketball in late November and sat out until January, then got another one in late January.
Coming from someone that has had multiple concussions (from HS football, to a farm accident) I can testify to how they seem to get progressively worse.
Concussion training and protocols are long overdue.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
A lot of what we are told in soccer meetings is that females tend to have much weaker necks supporting their heads, so the smallest impacts (like headers) cause more sudden and violent jarring effects then to the head of a male athlete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00