Concusions,and your childs life!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
FYI: You really don't know the recovery period. They are using Impact testing or whatever it is called, but even Crosby, who passed his, is not back playing in the NHL.

http://impacttest.com/

Are there head protection items for basketball?

Jan 25, 2011
FPMark,Emily started out with a headache,took her to family Dr.,they looked at her and tested her.TheDr. then decided that it was a concussion.Next day she started throwing up,took her to ER,they gave her something for the throwing up and did a CT scan,head aches never went away,she rested alot but no help with headache,ended back in ER few days later,ER gave her something for the headache,migraine meds.,they went away,few days later double vision,told to make eye appoiment,then left eye started to turn in,eye Dr. seen her and went through the roof,mad at ER and family Dr.,nobody looked in her eyes,I mean really looked in her eyes,swelling of the nerves back of eyes.Took her to another ER,by eye Dr. request,he set up appt. with neurology,mri showed major pressure,transfered to childrens hospital in pittsburgh,once here did a spinal tab,meds and eyes started getting better,then last Sunday headache started,eyes went back to double,left eye turned in.Pittsburgh had her flown in another mri showed that pressure was pushing on left side of her brain,Dr. said they had to open her up and find the problem.Bleeding on the brain,from a cyst she was born with,they call it a anracknoid cyst,sorry about spelling.Alot of people have these cyst all there lives and never no it,find it only when there is a problem.Sorry about how I'am writting this but it is a long story.They went in her head and but holes in the cyst to drain the trapped fluid and the blood from the hit that caused the bleeding.That is kind of it for what happened and what they did to fix it.But the good news is she cracking jokes,walking more and the swelling has started to go down.Not sure when we can go home,but the Dr. is being very careful.Emily even got to wash her hair today,amazing how just getting to do that can be such a joy.Emily is happy to say that her vision is back to normal,she isnt so happy that she will most likely miss the whole softball season,but she is only 13yo and has more time to play.She will be able to practice her pitching and hitting off a tee when the Dr says she can.She asked the Dr. not me,I was just happy she will be able to see another sunrise and sunset.The local high school softball coached called me and asked if Emily could be the manager of the team this year all ready.Her TB coach wants her to go to all the games he said she can wear the uniform and be there with them.Like I said what a softball family we all are.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Even as manager, I would require her to wear a helmet. With my luck, she would get hit with the ball, during warm ups.

You really need to write out this complete story, when things settle down, so we can distribute it.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Thanks for the detailed info nano, it sounds like you were doing everything you were told, but it just goes to show how many people in the medical field don't even understand how to deal with head injuries. It's amazing to me that it sounds like the eye Dr. was the first to realize how serious the injury really was. I'm glad to hear Emily is getting better, and thank you for taking the time to post your experiance. It, along with others who posted info here, has been very helpfull to me and I hope others find it helpfull also.

Oct 19, 2009
In BB this year my daughter has had a deep knee bruise, sprain ankle and a jammed finger. The other day one of the boys BB players had his leg cut from under him and landed on his face. It ended up he had had a broken cheek bone and a concussion. He did not know where he was when he came off the floor; he sat on the bench with an ice pack on his head the remainder of the game. His parents took him to the hospital later.

I think we all including coaches, parents and doctors have a lot to learn about this injury.

Did anyone see the CNN special “Big Hits Broken Dreams” that aired Sunday?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog