Concusions,and your childs life!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Prayers from the other side of the world. Hope everything's OK and that you and your wife are holding up *hugs*

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Prayers out to Emily and her family.
My DD had 2 concussions in 2011. she is playing sports again but she is also seeing a therapist once a week to help her recover mentally. I learned a lot about concussions this past year. The biggest thing I learned is how little is known about this.

Apr 27, 2009
Our thoughts are with you.

The responsive medical care that you describe will ensure recovery, I am sure of it. These kids' shock trauma guys and gals are really good. I know from personal experience.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This reminds me of my 7th grade student that took a line drive off of her forehead/facemask. She was conscious and crying and then, in about 5 minutes, got up and continued pitching.

I said to the person next to me, "They should take her to the ER." That woman said "I think it is good that she gets back in there and pitches."

Jan 25, 2011
Update, Emily is duing better lots of swelling,lots of swelling.The Dr. are pleased with her latest MRI.She was told by DR. to get up and take some walks,moving slow but moving,that matters the most.She is real up beat,she was cracking jokes about how she looked.Thats my girl,loves to joke,The PT was like really happy with her walking,"PT said boy is she determined to get moving",you cant hold a softball player down! The prayers are helping you can feel it all around us,again thank you all,God Bless!!!!

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Nano,... you have my thoughts and prayers for Emily and your whole family.

It's strange, but I have been re-reading your other post several times this past week because of some of the good info in it about concussions. This past Tuesday my DD was playing BB and also fell on her back and hit her head. She got back up and resumed playing. After about 6-7 minutes, she came out of the game, and I went down to the bench to see how she was feeling. She said her head hurt, and her vision was "a little blurry". I told the coach she would not be able to play anymore, and took her out to talk to the HS athletic trainer (I guess she was the acting medic on sight). She asked if she had any other problems like nausea, dizziness, tingling, seeing spots, or anything else, to which she answered "no". She also asked alot of questions about things she did in school that day, all of which she had no problem answering.

The trainers recomendation was no BB or PE for the next 72 hrs, and watch for any other signs of a concussion. She wasn't sure that it was a concussion, and did not recommend taking her to the doctor unless we saw more signs. By the time we got home, her vision was back to normal, and by morning, her head felt fine and she wanted to go to school (considered taking her to the doctor based on this unusual behavior alone ;>)). Since today was the begining of the end of the year tournament, as well as after the 72hr period, DD was begging to play (I didn't let her play in the last reg season game last night). I took her this morning to the local childrens urgent care and sports injury center to have her checked out before I would let her play just because of reading your posts about your DD. The doctor examined her, gave her the okay to play and also referenced the 72 hr watch period, but now I have a couple of questions and concerns.

You said your DD got up and continued playing also? Did she have any symptums (sp?) that went away like my DD's did? You said in the other thread that your DD's concussion happened in early Dec., did you know immediatly it was a concussion? or did the symptums take a long time to develop?

Sorry about the long post, but I really would appreciate any more light you could shed on this, especially regarding the 72 hr rule. Thanks for these threads, and God bless!

Jul 28, 2008
Mark,

From what I have read and gathered, it's a 2nd concussion happening before the original one has healed it what causes most troubles. They give anywhere from 72hrs to a couple of weeks for the brain swelling to go down and heal. If you don't and they get a 2nd blow to the head when the brain is already swollen it has no room for more swelling. Then problems happen.

It sounds like you did the correct thing in seeking out trained medical professionals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog