Common mental mistakes in softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
A good number of mental mistakes occur because of not being sure how many outs there are.

Another common error is not understanding the uncaught-third-strike rule. DD was congratulated for taking second base on one of those recently, but in reality, the batter, catcher and runner all failed to know the rule. The batter ran to first (not knowing she's already out); the catcher threw to first (not knowing she's already out); and runner ran to second (not knowing she wasn't forced).

And finally, one thing that really smart players do is understand how plays change depending on the score and the number of outs. Very hard to teach that.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
A good number of mental mistakes occur because of not being sure how many outs there are.

Another common error is not understanding the uncaught-third-strike rule. DD was congratulated for taking second base on one of those recently, but in reality, the batter, catcher and runner all failed to know the rule. The batter ran to first (not knowing she's already out); the catcher threw to first (not knowing she's already out); and runner ran to second (not knowing she wasn't forced).

And finally, one thing that really smart players do is understand how plays change depending on the score and the number of outs. Very hard to teach that.

D3K screwups drive me crazy. I saw at least 2 girls this weekend not run on the D3K, and the one easily would have made it to first safely. I have also seen some teams coach their players to run even when first base is occupied. If the catcher would happen to throw the ball, it is still live. And if they happen to throw the ball, there is always the chance it will sail into right field. It is up to the catcher to realize that the throw is not necessary.

Also witnessed a D3K last year with the bases loaded. Catcher threw the ball to first instead of just stepping on home plate. It worked, but it could have been a real disaster.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Probably the most common mental mistake, at least in 14U and beyond (when balls are routinely going to the outfield).

Are there some cardinal rules here? How do you teach it?

By 14U, one thing is to forget baseball relays with the SS or 2B going out unless you are playing on a slowpitch or baseball field with no temp fences. The field is only 200' deep so by this age, they can all throw to a base. 2 of our 3 outfielders can throw it on a reasonable line to home from pretty deep.

- Critical all fielders are doing the ball, base, backup thing so they are all positioning themselves somewhat intelligently.
- Our CATCHER is responsible for YELLING the base to throw to because she is 1) loud 2) can see the whole field and 3) did I mention REALLY loud. The team knows her voice and they are used to responding to her lead (mostly)
- If the runners are all moving and you need to stop them it is important to have a LEADER making the DECISION. As you see above, this is a role we give to our catcher:
- If there is a chance of a play, you obviously throw to the base the runner is going to. (plus backup)
- If you don't have a play or you are unsure or you don't hear the catcher, then throw hard and flat to the base in front of the lead runner and the infielders will cut it as appropriate.
- If there is nothing going on (e.g. it is a easy single, no runners on base or no play) then we throw it in to second and move onto the next play. That gets the ball to the middle of the field and even if it is a terrible throw there is 3-4 players in the area to backup

If there is a better way, love to hear it. This has worked well for us an was how a local college coach instills this in their players, so we use it as well.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
Do not throw it to P, throw it to infielder.

I'm not sure if that's a mental error, but it drive me nuts.

On the throwing to the wrong base, it's annoying, but it's better than just standing there holding the ball. That's so annoying.

Aug 20, 2013
- Not freezing on a line drive while running bases
- catcher and/or pitcher "sleeping" on a base runner allowing a delayed steal
- Defense (usually ss) breaking early to cover a bag....only to have a routine ground ball hit right at the spot they were at
- no one covering 3rd on a bunt with runner on 1b
- (mental coaching mistake) Having the batter fake bunt take a pitch with runners on 1st & 3rd and 2 outs!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12