College strike zone, Sheeeesh

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
From Referee Magazine - January 2020
"So, we were watching her throw drop balls and watching catchers "funnel it" and I was telling myself those are going to be low. We set up a pitching machine with a string at knee level and set the machine to throw drop balls. I actually got back and caught them, and I was struggling to catch the drop balls and make them look like strikes. It was clearly a strike but being caught below the shin guards of the catcher. One side is going to go crazy if you call that a strike and one side is going to go crazy if you don't call it a strike. The reality of it is it's a strike. We did it 50 times. This was a machine replicating it over and over. We brought 35 campers through it. It was a drill we ran in a camp that absolutely changed the way I think about the catcher receiving the ball....how something in a drill can change the way you think about things."

NCAA Women's College World Series umpire Tom Meyer
This is one of the arguments for catching with one knee down...

Last edited:
May 3, 2016
Watching several D2 games in person and a daughter that has pitched in some of them what I have seen is it has to be half a ball on the plate and mid thigh to just above the belly button. Home runs sell tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad