College: running on contact from second/third

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
On purpose or poor coaching?

(1) I have seen now four times in college games, a non-forced runner going on contact from second or third and getting out. Big example was that Georgia/Florida game on TV.

(2) I have also seen runners go from second to third on contact and end up safe on a left-side ground ball. In one example of many, the third baseman fielded the ball (although she was a few steps in, it was hard hit as most are these days), looked at the runner near second (who was clearly intent on going) and then 3rd threw to first. The SS was there to cover and beat the runner. Then on a WP, that runner scored. Is the check play no longer really used on some teams, even though more runs are being scored than ever? Are these plays not being taught anymore?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The "Angle down". The last couple of years in NCAA clinics I have been to they talk about it being the "hot new trend" with some teams. Runner on 2nd or 3rd with no baserunner behind them goes on contact forcing the defense to make multiple choices.

Aug 24, 2011
For many teams in an automatic to run on any ground ball with runners on 2nd and 3rd than less than two outs. The thought process is that the offensive team is forcing the defensive team to make an out at the plate. The batter-runner doesn't stop and advances to second and you have a 2nd and 3rd situation all over again -- just with one more out -- even if the runner gets thrown out at the plate.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bake12