Cold weather survival gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2009
It's getting cooler here, and while I can endure the remainder of the fall season without major modifications to our summer equipment, I am not going to endure another early season freeze fest when high school ball starts in February. I bought a Mr. Heater Buddy heater. I'm thinking about buying some sidewalls for our pop-up tent. I suppose I'll have to set it up further down the line so I don't obstruct people's view, but I'm OK with that. We have a 1/2 gal thermos that we put hot water in for hot chocolate in the mornings. We have those chemical hand warmers to stick in pockets.

What do you guys use to make cheering your daughter a more enjoyable experience in the cold months?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
That is part of the reason that I moved to Tucson. :)
UnderArmor is good under your clothes and UGG boots and the best parka that you can afford, should do the trick. If you need more than that, it is too cold for softball. Good luck.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Carhartt insulated cover-alls, probably the best when it's cold and windy. The wind chill is what drives me nuts. Another thing I use that works great is battery heated socks 9v, I use them for hunting too.

Apr 25, 2010
You can also buy "hot hands" that are specifically made to fit in your shoes. We also keep an old comforter or two in our trunk.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Wow, I could of used warmer and dryer clothing today. Temps did not get above 51F and a steady drizzle from 9-2. By then we were pretty damp and the 10-15mph breezes kept the coffee flowing from the snack shack. Fortunately I did have a barn jacket in the truck and DD had her little raincoat for between innings and games. I am a fan of the toasty toes and hot hands.

Here in the Appalachians it tends to be cooler so the D-Wife bought a surplus US Military -10 degree sleeping bag. She carries it softball games in the spring and football games in the fall. It is a Mummy style with multiple zippers, and the color does not show dirt as bad. She sits in her beach chair and stays cozy, while I pace the outfield and visit the concession.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When my boys played ball at Pleasant Plains (IL) HS, I was going to invent something that I called "an electric chair." When my friends complained about the name, I told them we could heat up sleeping bags and call them "body bags." I guess Carhartts would sound better.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I bought my DD a used Rocketech to use when temps go below 50 degrees (and in batting cages with dimple balls).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207