Coaching Success: W/L or player development

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

For me, it is all about player development and getting the girls ready to be recruited to D1 schools. I also have to win against the very best competition along the way because if I don't, I don't get to coach again. That makes them equal for me even if my heart is with coaching for the sake of getting the girls to play perfectly.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I consider myself successful if parents want their girls to play for me. It's the highest compliment when a family goes and grabs a friend and says, "You need to play for Coach Ray!" I doubt I'll ever coach anything but rec and school ball, and that's OK.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Although I do believe if a coach is getting player improvement than w/l will reflect.
Just curious as to what defines as having coaching success.
Local team had lots of talent and lots of wins but I didn't see the player improvement.
What's everyone's opinion? Thanks

The definition of success changes as the player ages and the level of competition increases. Won/Loss record is not a good way to measure success and I would run away from any coach who brags about winning a high percentage of their games and coming in first place in multiple tournaments every season. Sand baggers are everywhere. The best way to improve is to play against teams who are better than yours. You do not get better run ruling weaker competition every weekend...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi