Coaching All Star game advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2011
St. Louis, MO
My husband is going to be coaching one of the All-star teams this Friday. That leaves us very little time to prepare. He is not the head coach on the team but our head coach is sick so he gets to do it.

Six of our players will be there along with 6 from another team and 3 from another. It is just going to be one game against another all-star team.

I would guess there will probably be 5 or 6 pitchers in the bunch so he was planning on getting them all some pitching time.
Any advice on how to handle the rest? We want it to be as fair as possible and let the girls have some fun.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
(1) Call the coach for the othe team and agree to "free substitution", so you can just put and pull kids in and out of the lineup at will.
(2) Also, get the othe coach to agree to a continuous batting order.
(3) How many innings? You take the number of innings to be played and multiply that number by 9, and you get the number of "player innings" available.

E.g., if you will play a 6 inning game, then you have 6*9=54 player innings. You have 15 players, so you divide 54 by 15, and you get 3 innings per player, with 9 kids playing 4 innings. So, you rotate players every inning into the lineup.

Find out who likes to play where, and give each kid *ONE* inning at her preferred spot. I suspect you are going to have 15 shortstops, so you may have to make some adjustments.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
TS - sounds like its a fairly casual all-star team and game so if you want to pitch all 6 pitchers you can essentially flip a coin who will pitch which innings (same goes for the other positions). I agree they should bat round robin so everyone gets an opportunity to get at least one at bat during the game. Should be a great opportunity for your husband to coach some of the better players in your league. Also, make sure he understands the rules you are playing under (e.g. free substitution of players, etc?) so he can manage the game within the rules and meet his goals of fairness and fun for the team. Let us know how it goes.

Feb 8, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Thanks for the advice. It helped out.
Sluggers, my husband took your advice and asked each kid what their preferred position was and thankfully we had a good mix of positions. Every girl got to play their position.

The girls were laughing and having a great time it really was a great experience for them.

We won the game 6 - 1 and I have to brag on my daughter a little she had an awesome hit down the third base line for a triple. She also struck out 6 batters but the best part was seeing these girls that played against each other this summer play together so well.