Coach warming up pitcher between innings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Umpire last night in 10U rec ball told me as a coach that I could not warmup (catch) my pitcher between innings. He said it has to be another girl on the team and must have at least a face mask on. We also play TB and I have never heard of this and have always been able to warmup my pitchers? Can anyone comment on this? Is this something new for ASA or was he just making up something?

Jan 25, 2011
Oregon
When DD played Little League they had this rule, it was a big deal to them for some reason. The other rec league in town didn't have this rule...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our League does not have this rule. If like us the pitchers are warmed up outside the fences I am surprised the umpire noticed or cared. Heck I catch on the field all the time while the C gets geared up. If a Player is warming up a P on the field they need a mask on or the ump will stop them.

Also silly, there are some players I would not feel comfortable with catching some of our pitchers.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We have umpires making up rules all the time at the rec games, like player must slide into home. That has come up several times, everytime I show them the Asa rule book that says something about "must avoid contact" not must slide. They always say "well its a league rule", to which I always have to say "I am a league rep, we don't have any special league rules.". Of course these are the same guys who will straight up tell you that they are helping out the weaker teams with adjustments to the strike zone.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
(redhotcoach started the side track)

Ump told Manager our P needed to leave the game because she hit 3 batters over 2 innings, not a rule.

1 game an opposing P used our batters for target practice, I do not remember how many batters she hit. It would have been more if some of our players were not so quick getting out of the way.

Next time we played this team I tried to get the non rule 3 hit batter in place, umpire wanted nothing to do with it. Oh well.

Last edited:
We have umpires making up rules all the time at the rec games, like player must slide into home. That has come up several times, everytime I show them the Asa rule book that says something about "must avoid contact" not must slide. They always say "well its a league rule", to which I always have to say "I am a league rep, we don't have any special league rules.". Of course these are the same guys who will straight up tell you that they are helping out the weaker teams with adjustments to the strike zone.

My DD was on 3rd last night and there was a passed ball. She made it home pretty much before the catcher was able to get to the ball. She did not slide because she didn't have too. Same umpire told us she had to slide. I can pretty much guarantee that the word slide is not in the ASA rule book. In contrast last fall we had one particular umpire that got mad if the girl did slide into home on passed balls that were not close, because he didn't want to bend over and clean the plate, lol.

Feb 3, 2011
Umpire last night in 10U rec ball told me as a coach that I could not warmup (catch) my pitcher between innings. He said it has to be another girl on the team and must have at least a face mask on. We also play TB and I have never heard of this and have always been able to warmup my pitchers? Can anyone comment on this? Is this something new for ASA or was he just making up something?
It's not an ASA rule.

If the umpire wishes to slow the game down, oh well. You should be contacting the league's UIC this morning to get this pretend rule set aside. Anyone under 18 who is catching needs to have at least a helmet with face shield on, though. That's common sense. If they're on my team, even warmup catchers will wear helmet, chest protector, and shin guards.

Sliding is not and will not be mandated by ASA. Any local league that has a 'must slide' rule would do well to remove that from its literature. Coaches should still teach players how to slide properly and encourage them to do so when indicated, but a coach telling a player she needs to slide in a given situation does not equate to an organizational mandate. Such a mandate would carry significant potential liability.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ddose was right. It is a LL rule.

It is a LL rule and the local board can waive it for local league play (but not at the district/all star level). Our local rec league is LL sanctioned and we have waived this one and coaches warm up pitchers all the time to help keep the game moving between innings. It is rule that makes no sense and I have wondered where the rule came from in the first place. Probably some idiot got whacked in the head is my guess and did the whole "I'm going to sue LL" dance I guess.

Jan 25, 2011
It is rule that makes no sense and I have wondered where the rule came from in the first place. Probably some idiot got whacked in the head is my guess and did the whole "I'm going to sue LL" dance I guess.
You are right about that statement, a few years ago,I was the HC of a 9-10 year old team.We are from Pa. and we where playing for States and where just down the road from Williamsport,so we had alot of the big time LL umps and they said,as coaches we could not,catch are pitchers.The head ump said LL had gotten sued by someone catching a pitcher and was hurt,so that only a teammate with equipment on is allowed to warm up the pitcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207