Coach the coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Received a reply from the TB league commish. He's all for it, just need to nail down details on field availability and timing. He likes the idea of the HS coaches holding the clinics. I'm not sold on that, so I'll make my case for the TB coaches to do it, but we'll see. I do plan to be a pest and set as much of the agenda as possible. I will know more by the end of the month.

Dec 3, 2008
Agree with Cherry Hill; very good information there. Do you have any college programs nearby? I haven't met a college coach who'd say no if you asked to come out and watch some practices. Can't beat the price.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...We can't do the separate thing anyway as coaches in my group, we work with public entities. We are trained to treat boys and girls the same, because it is proven that what works for the minority, whether race or gender, works for the opposite...

Very true. When you are a servant in the public sector you are forced to embraced a host politically correct nonsense and dumb down to the lowest common denominator. Many in the public sector may feel as though they are highly trained, but the reality is that they are heavily indoctrinated.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Look, do it your way. Baby them...

I'd quote the rest, but it's all just so much smug drivel. OiLF, you're so full of merde I don't even know where to start. So, I DARE you to quote ANYWHERE in this thread where ANYONE (besides you) said to "baby" the girls. I will pay you real cash if you can do it.

Since you appear incapable of actually contributing, I'd appreciate it if you moved on and trolled some other threads.

Jan 31, 2011
The clinic you mentioned sounds great. I have gone to the NSC events many times and always walk away energized for the upcomming season. The speakers & forum is unbelievable! I know Chicago is a distance from Cloumbus, but this is a great clinic:
Softball Coaches Clinics by National Sports Clinics

Plus it sounds like you have a great deal of passion for the sport and learning is the way to success. Too many coaches feel like they have to have the answer for everything or its a direct reflection on them. That is wrong.

I personally have never coached boys so I don't know what motivates them, but I do know that coaching young girls requires a lot of care, compassion, encouragement and of course a great sense of humor! Learning how to motivate the female athlete is a good topic. You cant fix a problem is you don't understand the question. We need more coaches like you.

Feb 12, 2014
Buckeye Guy - the Ohio High School Fastpitch Coaches Association hosts a clinic yearly in Columbus. I've never been to it, but I'm thinking about maybe attending this year. You can get the info at - "Ohio High School Fastpitch Softball Coaches Association

Like you, I started on this journey with virutally no softball knowledge. Thankfully, I got paired with an experienced rec coach and have worked very, very hard to learn the game. I still have a LONG way to go, however!

Our local association does a two night mini-clinic with the local high school coaches each year. It's not mandatory, but we strongly encourage folks to attend. It's been very worthwhile for us.

Also, FWIW, I coached track for five years, and as a staff, we coached it as one coed program. If anyone thinks that males and females react in the same way to the same things, then they are pretty deluded.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut