Coach James' indoor batting cage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
wonderful.

ask Santa for three colored rolls of duct tape, to represent high middle low zones for the heavy bag, and a camera, with large screen(giant) monitor, rvp software, or kinovea.

You have obviously been good, having that set up, this smaller stuff should be a given

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Thanks, really. It inspired me to go down the basement and clean my cage/archery range/bb gun gallery. Got me in trouble though, well my mouth did anyway. I mean, if all the christmas decor is up that is going up, why can't I throw away the extra 9 boxes full of junk?
I think if I padded the water heater it would make an excellent heavy bag. :eek:

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Awesome setup. Can I ask where you got the netting from?
Netsofamerica.com
I placed the order on black Friday night at about 10pm...it was delivered last Sat morning at 10am!!!
It's 48# netting (heavy-duty), with 3 rib lines, leadcore rope, and a flap door in the corner... with the delivery fee of only $18.

Dec 11, 2010
Really nice setup.

Love the lead line for the bottom.... a really nice and necessary addition to keep the balls in.

A cage is the best investment a softball family can make, and it doesn't have to be a full size cage. You can get a lot done in a shorter than normal cage. Bravo for making it work in the space you have.

Mine is 10x10x42. I wish it was 12' wide, it's hard to pitch to lefties and righties without moving the plate, it isn't wide enough for the plate to be in the center. I kinda wish I had smaller mesh so I could use golf whiffles and those Zip Balls. The Zip Balls don't fit through the mesh... Until you hit them with a bat and somehow the mesh doesn't even slow them down.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Really nice setup.

Love the lead line for the bottom.... a really nice and necessary addition to keep the balls in.

A cage is the best investment a softball family can make, and it doesn't have to be a full size cage. You can get a lot done in a shorter than normal cage. Bravo for making it work in the space you have.

Mine is 10x10x42. I wish it was 12' wide, it's hard to pitch to lefties and righties without moving the plate, it isn't wide enough for the plate to be in the center. I kinda wish I had smaller mesh so I could use golf whiffles and those Zip Balls. The Zip Balls don't fit through the mesh... Until you hit them with a bat and somehow the mesh doesn't even slow them down.

I have to move the plate from left or right too. Not a huge deal. I originally had chalk lines and a permanent plate (white duct tape) but with it only being 9' wide the bat kept hitting the net. So I removed it and used a throw down plate instead. It works fine to use real balls but given the small area and amplified noise being in a basement, I prefer to use tennis balls for front toss. When the real balls hit the frame of the screen it's definingly loud. I'll most likely keep the real balls for hitting in the full cage outside. 14x12x55

Dec 11, 2010
Two cages? OMG you are my hero bro!

I agree, even though you gotta move some stuff around it's still so worth it. Better to make do with space available than do nothing all winter. What the heck is better than hitting when it's snowing sideways and the windchill is minus 30! Crank up the tunes and have some fun.

I have one of those golf ball pitching machines, it is a blast to use and when the kids are at school Dad can work on his swing with no witnesses. That might work for your setup, even if they get through the net they aren't going far. I don't use it much, gotta dig the balls out from under my tractor....

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My old set up in the basement was a golf ball sized wiffle ball machine (personal pitcher) I rigged up a full cage with it too, but it was very primitive compared to my new stuff. I just sold it on ebay last week. I had 300 balls, 4 bats, a smallball tee, Web gloves, an insider bat, and big roll of netting. Sold all of it for $250 with free shipping! Some guy in Florida just got hooked up!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad