Coach calling 1st pitch changeup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

So, now my DD's head coach started calling her pitches. On numerous batters he calls a 1st pitch change up. Prior to this I have always told her to never throw a changeup as your 1st pitch. So needless to say she struggled with it.

My 10U DD throws her fastball 44-46 with downward spin, and the 10U teams that we have played cannot hit it. Her changeup is 35 which is an easier speed for 10U batters to hit. unfortunately we have less than ideal catchers and passed balls/wild pitches and dropped 3rd strikes are the only way that the other teams get on base.

The next game that she pitched she threw her own pitches and had 6 strikeouts and no hits over the 2 inning game. We still lost 5-1. Her defense and the team defense is less than ideal.

So, is it normal in this situation for the coach to be calling so many 1st pitch change ups?

Jul 26, 2010
A lot of coaches do this. So many kids are taught not to swing at a change-up unless they have 2 strikes. Almost all players are taught to "pick their pitch" for the first pitch, and only swing if you see that pitch. Most won't pick a changeup. So, if the pitcher can throw a change as a first pitch for a strike, they get ahead in the count early. It's a valid tactic, but it does require that the pitcher throw change-ups for strikes on command.

If the pitcher does not have command of the pitch, the coach should not be calling it, as if the pitch is not a strike, the pitcher is now behind.

-W

Jan 25, 2011
well, I'm not sure throwing a first pitch CU at this age is ideal, but the older they get, yes I would sometimes.

Jun 24, 2013
The way you are describing your DD she should not be throwing CU as the 1st pitch and probably not at all to the bottom part of the order. If possible you want the other Team to know she has it in the 1st inning but use is sparingly and only to the better hitters.

You do not want to let hitters get a pitch they can hit if they cannot catch up to her fastball.

If the game is out of reach open it up a little bit to let her practice the pitch.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Appreciate the sign of confidence he has in your daughter. Whether he knows he is helping your dd or not, take a deep breath and enjoy, knowing that this pitch calling will make her better down the road.

That's the glass 1/2 full. The 1/2 empty would be, does he have a clue. She benefits either way.

Thanks for the responses. She has less control of her C/U than she does of her fastball, and purposely tries to not throw it over the middle of the plate.

I think we are going to have to devote more practice time to the C/U.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
So if I am reading you correctly, you have less than ideal catchers, less than ideal fielders, you don't want the change up for strike 3 because it will be a dropped third strike, and she should NEVER throw it for the first pitch.

You need to do a couple things. First would be find a team that matches her ability. As long as you think she is superior to her team, you are giving her a crutch for when she pitches. It will always be her teams fault and not hers. Second thing would be let her coaches coach. I know that is difficult. I have been there. She absolutely needs to be able to throw a change up on the first pitch. And the second, and the third. She relly needs to be able to throw it at any point in the count. Right now you are seeing teams that can't hit and losing. Imagine what will happen when you face a good team.

I would recommend that you forget how fast she pitches. If you have a radar or know someone with one, keep it away from her. Your eyes are perfect for telling you her speed. Work on locating her pitches to all parts of the zone and mixing speeds with the change up. When she consistently can put the ball where it is called, teach her the drop ball.

You have a long road ahead. Other pitchers will catch up to her speed. Teach her how to pitch, not throw. Don't be that really fast 10U pitcher who isn't pitching by 14u. You owe it to her.

JMHO

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Is it normal? Well, I would say typically not, but it all depends. I think most people think of the CU as a pitch you are setting up. However, you can't always throw it with 2 strikes. My DD is a 12u pitcher. The first few times she can use it with 2 strikes, but after that she has to start mixing it in.

I understand where you are coming from in wanting your DD to be successful on the mound. At her age stats are good to look at, but don't get hung up on them. Try to think about it another way...

You said the 10u teams you play cannot hit her, etc. so what is she learning from that? If they are hitting her CU then that would be a good focus for her to work to throw her CU and locate it where it is difficult to hit.

My DD can blow it by most teams with her FB and a decent drop and not really have to worry about exact placement. However, this weekend was a good example of her putting the ball over too much plate on one team and she got hit pretty hard by the top of their line up. Lesson learned...you have to hit your spots, you cannot blow it by everyone, etc. This is our focus for our practices now and she sees the need for it because of that game.

Although I may not call a CU as the first pitch for a batter, I have called it before later in the game. So I suggest looking at this as a learning experience for her and being able to throw whatever pitch is called, when it is called.

May 31, 2012
It's always good to get out of her comfort zone. Long term she will be a better player for it. She needs to be able to throw the cu in any count. My DD throws hard in soft away and has been very successful the last few seasons. New team new coach.this season guess what this guy calls away,away,and away some more with an occasional fb.in. and rarely calls the cu.

Dont fight the change embrace it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole