Cleats – Worth Getting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
I've never seen a league that does not mandate cleats for all players, it's a safety factor.

Even if you have to get the kid soccer cleats, they're better then nothing, I'd go the extra mile to find her baseball/softball cleats though. Even the huge box stores sell Rawlings cleats.

-W

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Bought DD's last pair online. They were about $20 cheaper than Dick's and I was able to purchase them in her team color of navy. Plus, she's an 11.5 ladies shoe for a 12YO and I would have had to special order them anyways.

Apr 1, 2010
We had it easy. DD had already played kiddie soccer for a couple of seasons before she started playing t-ball and the annual rec ball season falls between spring and fall soccer, so she always had a current pair of soccer cleats that could be worn.

Once she decided to leave rec and try out for tb softball, we went out and got baseball/softball specific cleats. I'm sure your DD will really learn to like the better footing and traction she'll get from cleats!

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Nike makes some very light weight fastpitch cleats in both metal and rubber. DD foot is long and narrow, so they fit her well. DD won't wear cleats that you can't bend with your hands right out of the box. She's worn other brands, but they seem heavier. Cleats are definitely worth the price in the difference it makes in traction. My DD wore soccer cleats for softball when she was very young. It does take some getting used to the toe pick of the softball versions.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Just don't make them hi-tops! My DH bought our DD her first pair of cleats when she was 8 and playing rec ball. Thinking to protect her ankles, he bought hi-tops. All season, we accepted that she was just slow as she 'clod-hopped' around the bases. It didn't really matter as she was having fun. She made the All-Star team at the end of the season. Part of the pre-game activities included base-running competitions. For whatever reason, she was wearing tennis shoes for this. She ended up tying for first! We never realized that the shoes weren't quite right for her feet and were keeping her from running properly. I really don't know if it was the hi-top design or they just didn't quite fit right, but she's only worn low tops since. She's 15 now and still the fastest kid on the team. We still tease my DH about those cleats.

Point of the story - make sure to get the right fit and feel for your DD. The cleats should be just as comfortable as her tennis shoes.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Based on the input above cleats look like a go this year.

DD goes to physically therapy for her foot/ ankle twice a week. She asked them about wearing cleats tonight and they said it would be fine.

Box stores do not have a good selection in stock right now so am going to wait a few weeks before we purchase them. I am worried about getting the correct fit and proper comfortable level purchasing over the Internet so am willing to spend the extra money at a Box store.

Thanks for all the input.

(I love the sound cleats make on the sidewalk from the parking lot to the field)

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
. . .

(I love the sound cleats make on the sidewalk from the parking lot to the field)

Make sure she wears flip flops or tennis shoes till she gets to the dugout or you will be buying them more frequently.

Players should take them off after the game before they leave the field. Shoot, if there is a good two-hour break, I want them to take them off between the games.:)

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Make sure she wears flip flops or tennis shoes till she gets to the dugout or you will be buying them more frequently.

Players should take them off after the game before they leave the field. Shoot, if there is a good two-hour break, I want them to take them off between the games.:)
Amen. When I was coaching All Stars, we required the girls to take their shoes off during breaks... it was so hot that their feet would sweat and it would look like their feet had been in the swimming pool for a couple of hours--all shrively and gross.

I hate the sound of cleats on concrete/asphalt... I take mine ASAP.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves