Choosing HS based on coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So if academics are equal this comes down to playing HS softball at a private school versus a public school. In the scenario presented by the OP the parents are paying for her to play softball at a different school. Seems like investing the $$$ in hitting lessons or the like would be a better use of time and money. If paying a few thousand to play 20+ games a year for coach X instead of coach Y is worth it to them, then to each their own.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I probably would be more prone to choose a HS by its player talent pool, than by a single coach.

HS sports is a unique experience. The "chance" of winning districts, regions, sub state, state, are once in a lifetime. All done by a group you don't have the option of recruiting nation-wide ( college ). Those goals are accomplished along side girls you have played with for years, ones you grew up with, know their parents/grandparents, the ones you spend the night with, go to their birthday parties, the whole town knows you.

For many, the last time you'll see your name in the paper, on the local TV station, the local cashier saying "hey I heard what y'all did", is HS ball.

This board holds many groups who are proud to post how their team won the local rec league, a C class round robin, an A class tourney in Texas, ASA nationals, an ABC World Series, college daughters................HS is part of that.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Considering 95% of softball recruiting is done through a players TB team, choosing a HS based on the softball coaching staff seems over the top.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
But, if you don't want to play college ball, a lot of girls want to enjoy HS ball. We are open enrollment, here in AZ. #1 and #2, in the state are within 5 miles of each other. Choosing where to go, is a big deal, here. The education is probably equal.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
My children are raised and we had 2 different HS's for them. If one of them, chose another school because of a coach, I would have been OK. Unless it is a choice, between a poor education and a great one, I would go with the coach that I like.

I chose ISU over EIU, because of a certain teacher, that i wanted to avoid.

And I chose ISU over EIU because I was told the parties were better ;)

Mar 26, 2013
Our HS is situated close (3 miles) to 2 others in the same school district whose softball programs are run by well-known and connected travel coaches. The college prep academics at all 3 schools are about the same, so we lose strong players each year to the other schools strictly for softball. We also lose top athletes in various sports to several private schools with strong athletic programs - one of which is about a mile away from our HS. Some of these end up being major D1 recruits.

We also lose some that would be starters and contributors at our HS and they just ride the pine at the other schools. smh

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, an incoming Freshman would select a high school based on who the head coach was?

Why not? I choose my dentist based on his golf handicap. It works OK...he told me that the teeth he pulled would grow back "real soon now".

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If the school prepares good students for good colleges AND has a good coach for your sport and you can afford it, why not. If you are the local public HS coach it sucks because you don't get the great athlete by default. In our area there is a HS pitcher that has close to 300ks this year. I would like her at DDs school and I'm sure every other coach in the area would too. She verballed to a very good school as a freshman. No public school in our area was going to get her because they couldn't offer the academics she is getting now.

Feb 18, 2014
Cincinnati, Oh.
I am wrestling with this issue. We have two high schools in our district. Right now she's in the feeder (MS-7th grade) for the "academic" school. The other school is the "athletic" school. All our athletes transfer to their school. From what I've seen so far, I'm not too impressed with any of our athletic programs and the softball team is no exception. The other school's softball coach is her hitting instructor and is the AC of her softball organizations 18 gold team. I feel like I can trust his instruction. However, she's a 3.8 student and the education is better at the high school she is set to attend.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I am wrestling with this issue. We have two high schools in our district. Right now she's in the feeder (MS-7th grade) for the "academic" school. The other school is the "athletic" school. All our athletes transfer to their school. From what I've seen so far, I'm not too impressed with any of our athletic programs and the softball team is no exception. The other school's softball coach is her hitting instructor and is the AC of her softball organizations 18 gold team. I feel like I can trust his instruction. However, she's a 3.8 student and the education is better at the high school she is set to attend.

Which do you think will have a more significant influence on your DD's life - stronger softball fundamentals or a stronger educational base?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad