Chicken wing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Welcome to the board. Don't let the shock of finding out that others have a different take on things keep you from listening from the very good advice you were given. By posting that video you may have done the single best thing you could do for your kid's pitching. Dig around the board, learn a bit more and it will make sense why you are basically getting feedback that says "forget about the squeaky brakes, let's fix that broken transmission". Lots of good things down the road if you follow the advice and she puts in the work.

Quite a few of us started out on this board with a good rec pitcher and were told that we had a lot of work to do to get them on the path to true pitching success, some of us are further along that road than others but I cannot think of a single kid who has not improved significantly while their parent was an active member of this forum.

she is really young, she won't get everything right away, but slow and steady progress will happen.

And drop the flip change now, it is the hardest pitch in the world to control.

Feb 7, 2013
And drop the flip change now, it is the hardest pitch in the world to control.

Maybe, maybe not. If you put in the work and can get lots of side spin on it (not backspin) the flip change is a nasty, nasty pitch unlike any other change up batters will encounter. The trick is to get it to move down and away (a RHP to a RHB).

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Maybe, maybe not. If you put in the work and can get lots of side spin on it (not backspin) the flip change is a nasty, nasty pitch unlike any other change up batters will encounter. The trick is to get it to move down and away (a RHP to a RHB).

I don't think we are talking about the same pitch, a flip change has backspin. If it has sidespin it is probably a backhand change, which is a much better version of the CU and far easier to control.

Feb 7, 2013
I don't think we are talking about the same pitch, a flip change has backspin. If it has sidespin it is probably a backhand change, which is a much better version of the CU and far easier to control.

Google "backhand change", and it's the "flip change" but nevertheless I agree that the side spin is preferable to pure back spin.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
I have found Googling for pitching info to be pretty much a complete waste of time. a flip change has backspin. Any other spin and you are throwing it differently than flip, call it whatever you want- it ain't a flip. The flip change is a dead end pitch for the vast majority of pitchers.

Jan 27, 2014

My daughter throws a flip change and she is definitely mastering it. People tried talking her into easier change ups but she only felt comfortable throwing it that way. She felt like the other ways were harder, for some reason the flip change was easier for her to learn. Gonna have to ask my husband which way it spins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors