Change-ups at the college level

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2013
So, I have spent a fair amount of time watching live games at mu,as well as a lot of games of games on tv and it just appears to me that pitchers just don't throw change-ups all that well. AND when the do throw them fairly well most girls are just setting back on them and not even swinging.

So, first question.....why does it appear that many of our D1 pitchers just don't throw it all that well?

AND, why are these hitters just setting back watching them float it for a strike when they do throw them well? Are coaches telling these girls to hold off?

I have seen MANY of these D1 girls throwing change-ups 10 feet in front of the plate and several feet over the catcher.

Dec 15, 2012
Our girls are taught to only swing at 2 strike change ups. Good hitters are looking for a pitch they can hit hard. A change up is difficult to hit hard.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
My DD is a change up pitcher. She can throw it very well for a strike in any count. She will throw it three times in a row and get outs. For some reason coaches at every level are afraid of calling that pitch more frequently than 1 or 2 times per inning. She has had to "educate" many former coaches to call the change up often and in every count.

I think a lot of pitchers don't throw it well because they are never put in a position to use it as a go to pitch. My dd uses her change up until she gets beat. It's her best pitch. It's rarely, if ever hit hard in games and I've never seen it hit over the fence for a home run.

Most coaches seem to think of the changes as an afterthought.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Tarynne Mowatte won the WCWS, throwing mostly change ups, the last game - because she was spent.

Good hitting teams like ASU, don't hesitate to hit it.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Out in left field.. Dd is currently in the process of doing just that as a freshmen. There are 4 pitchers on her college team. All their games are being called in the same way. All their eras are high. Freshmen DD finally went to her coach and said I need to use my change up more. I use it a lot. Last few games, more change ups called... only 1 earned run for DD. And more strike outs and her era is starting to go down.

Jun 22, 2008
Daughter played a team I believe out of Illinois last year, would have to ask her to verify, but the pitcher had 3 different speed changeups. Her fast ball was in the mid 60's, she had a changeup that was in the mid to low 50's, another that was in the mid 40's, and then she had a floater and all of them were the exact same arm motion as the fastball. She was very effective in using them and constantly kept the hitters off balance.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IMO regardless of level, the majority of coaches don't know how to call a game to use a change up effectively. Effective = the pitch itself is effective AND also makes the other pitches more effective.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
IMO regardless of level, the majority of coaches don't know how to call a game to use a change up effectively. Effective = the pitch itself is effective AND also makes the other pitches more effective.

I second and third this!! DD has a CU and off speed like Comp described. Her off speed is the better of the two and I've noticed her HS coach calls it WAY TOO OFTEN, and at the wrong time facing a batter. I can almost sit there and tell ya, "he's calling for the off speed", and watch it go sailing over the infield. I've politely said "you're calling that too much", so now instead of calling it 50 times a game he's gone down to 45.

136134325638571251.GIF

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Why dont they throw a slow change up very often? Because the coach doesnt trust it, the pitcher doesnt throw it enough to be really good at it and neither of them are very smart.

How often do you see an off-speed pitch thrown? Probably less than slow ones, I would gues.

If they used three speeds and constantly switched back and forth, they would tear the batters up.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If they used three speeds and constantly switched back and forth, they would tear the batters up.

Totally agree...I'm not sure that they would tear *all* the batters up, but they would be more effective.

There are some batters where you always bring the heat. There are other batters where you have to change speeds. Softball pitchers are not allowed call to pitches in HS, TB or college. They don't know to read batters. They don't know how to think out on the mound. They have no idea when to throw the 50 MPH drop or the 60 MPH drop. So, they always go with the 60 MPH...and it works fine against most of the batters.

It is the art of knowing when to throw the off-speed and where to put the ball that the pitchers don't understand.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG