Catcher with issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
...and sometimes we have girls with talent beyond their age, we forget they are still mentally and emotionally little girls. Plus our superstar college girls play 3 emotion filled games in a week. Our 12 year olds play 3 in a morning.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A little explanation can go a long way...sometimes kids that age don't understand. Sounds like your C did not until you explained it. I hope she stays on track for you and her sake. Good luck.

Very true. The question the OP needs to think about while looking in the mirror is "who's fault is that the catcher didn't understand what was expected of her and why?" Along similar lines, here's an overheard dialogue between a catcher in the field and 12U HC and AC in the dugout who were very aggravated that balls were getting by their catcher and allowing the walked runners to advance quite frequently.

HC, animatedly, "Suzy, you need to stop those balls from getting by you!"
Suzy nods.
AC to HC - "We haven't practiced that have we?"
HC to AC - "Yeah, you are righ, I guess we should"
HC after next pitch that gets by Suzy - "Suzy, you have to stop those balls somehow"

Does the story have a happy? No, the HC and AC never followed up w/ any training and practice for the catcher. FWIW, it was a season of mommy ball at its finest with the only focus on their DDs who, you guessed it, were, yes, pitchers, who, as it turns out, not surprisingly, never progressed beyond average.

In the interests of full disclosure, I had no dog in the race and no role in the conversations

Last edited: