Catcher out of catcher's box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I'm surprised you are suggesting to apply logic to rule books when you know that that include such oxymorons as a rectangular pitcher's "plate" and foul lines and poles that are fair etc.

"Plate", pitcher's and home, is because each is a plate, a smooth flat piece of material as opposed to the raised "bases".

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
"Plate", pitcher's and home, is because each is a plate, a smooth flat piece of material as opposed to the raised "bases".

And its just as logical that the foul lines and foul poles are fair, right?! Not to mention mention the logic in applying the same penalty that baseball has for a balk to an illegal pitch in softball.

Mar 26, 2013
Not to mention mention the logic in applying the same penalty that baseball has for a balk to an illegal pitch in softball.
Actually, baseball rules assess a balk whenever the pitcher commits an illegal pitch with runners on base. The difference is illegal pitches are rare in baseball.

An ILLEGAL PITCH is (1) a pitch delivered to the batter when the pitcher does not have his pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate; (2) a quick return pitch. An illegal pitch when runners are on base is a balk.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
And its just as logical that the foul lines and foul poles are fair, right?! Not to mention mention the logic in applying the same penalty that baseball has for a balk to an illegal pitch in softball.

Don't disagree with the foul line discussion, but I cannot find anything illogical about the term "plate" being used for something that IS a plate

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Don't disagree with the foul line discussion, but I cannot find anything illogical about the term "plate" being used for something that IS a plate

Even though the pitcher's plate and home plate technically are plates, I guarantee you that most people consider/will describe plates as being circular or round in shape and would be upset if their ballpark hotdogs were accompanied by the former rather than the latter. Personally, it wouldn't bother me as long as my dogs came with chili and/or onions but no catsup, mustard, or relish.

FWIW, the only point really worth noting is that the language, terms, and logic used in most rulebooks leaves room for significant improvement.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Even though the pitcher's plate and home plate technically are plates, I guarantee you that most people consider/will describe plates as being circular or round in shape and would be upset if their ballpark hotdogs were accompanied by the former rather than the latter. Personally, it wouldn't bother me as long as my dogs came with chili and/or onions but no catsup, mustard, or relish.

No accounting for people's lack of intelligence or desire to learn.

FWIW, the only point really worth noting is that the language, terms, and logic used in most rulebooks leaves room for significant improvement.

Don't necessarily disagree, but we need to remember those books are a compilation of rules and regulations, not meant to be prose, poetry or an novel. :)

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Thanks for the answers, guys. So it's an IP if the catcher is out of the box and it's catcher's interference if she catches before it crosses the plate.

What are the two references for each of these in the NFHS book? What happens if both occur on the same pitch?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks for the answers, guys. So it's an IP if the catcher is out of the box

Prior to the release of the pitch, yes.

and it's catcher's interference if she catches before it crosses the plate.

No, it is catcher's obstruction

What are the two references for each of these in the NFHS book? What happens if both occur on the same pitch?

You enforce both (assuming the batter did not put the ball into play somehow). The BR is awarded 1B (CO 8.1.1.d) and all runners are advanced one base from the TOP (IP 6.3.1).

The CO penalty is actually an option given to the offense, but in most cases, the award is virtually automatic

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Keep in mind that to have catcher's obstruction, you still need to prevent the batter from freely striking the ball. I can tell you this, the batter better swing if you want catcher's obstruction. I think some people are either losing site of this or just leaving it out.

PS: My car has license plates and I do not intend to eat off of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30