Catcher Obstruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
From the newsletter-
For this month's Tip of the Month, I thought I'd shine some light on one of the most difficult plays to handle as a catcher. The tag play at home plate when the throw pulls the catcher up the line.

This can often lead to some serious collisions and injuries, and it is important to know how to approach this play to avoid both.

This is one of our students on the West Coast and she recently was involved in a play at home that lead to some quick thinking and instinctive reactions.
During this play, the catcher is pulled up the line on a slightly off target throw from her infielder.

Instead of letting the throw carry her directly into the runner (who looked like she was aiming for the catcher in an attempt jar the ball loose), she instead pulls her body as far as she could into foul territory away from the path of the runner. Even though there was contact, this could have ended much worse.

A lot of catchers attempt to "block" the plate and position themselves directly in the path of the runner. However, by pulling our body into foul territory as much as possible, and making the tag on the side of the runner, we can help avoid serious collisions.

At the end of the day, we want to make sure that we are protecting ourselves. Obviously, the out is somewhat important, but most definitely not more than our safety.

Catchers, protect yourself and then find a way to make the tag. Basically...Move it or Lose it!

Aug 30, 2015
No matter how many times I look at this video, I still don't see where the runner was impeded in her progress towards home plate.

It's the point I've been trying to make this entire discourse . . . just standing there blocking the plate without the ball IS Obstruction by the rules I've quoted.

I'm not referencing anything regarding where the throw was, when the throw got there, did the runner actually slow down. . . nothing.

Check out this LL World Series Obstruction clip. The catcher isn't nearly blocking the plate as much as Maddie was, and OBS was called.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5nn58RD2sg

BTW, if you weren't aware, LL World Series umps aren't rookie chumps. They've earned their stripes big time and have to have quite a bit of experience under their belts to be invited to call a game at this level.

Jun 22, 2008
Exactly what is the video suppose to prove? Contact was made prior to the catcher possessing the ball, obstruction all day long. The play which is the subject of this thread there was no contact prior to the catcher possessing the ball and the runner was never impeded until the catcher possessed the ball.

You are hanging your hat and a horribly worded usssa clarification which by the way is not a rule. The usssa rule reads virtually identical to every other rule set with the exact same application. I have posted the 2016 usssa case play which is how the rule is actually applied.

Jun 22, 2008
My last post. You want to continue to ignore no less than 3 umpires who have said it is not obstruction and that is not how the rule is applied. You can either learn the correct application of the rule or continue to argue something that is 100% false.

And by the way, obstruction was not called in the ll game because the catcher was simply standing in front of the plate. Obstruction was called because contact was made with he runner and impeded them prior to possession of the ball.

Aug 30, 2015
Exactly what is the video suppose to prove? Contact was made prior to the catcher possessing the ball, obstruction all day long.
The catcher was pulled in to the base path by the errant throw (after he got up from blocking the plate). Are you saying the catcher isn't allowed to go get the ball?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's the point I've been trying to make this entire discourse . . . just standing there blocking the plate without the ball IS Obstruction by the rules I've quoted.

I'm not referencing anything regarding where the throw was, when the throw got there, did the runner actually slow down. . . nothing.

Check out this LL World Series Obstruction clip. The catcher isn't nearly blocking the plate as much as Maddie was, and OBS was called.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5nn58RD2sg

BTW, if you weren't aware, LL World Series umps aren't rookie chumps. They've earned their stripes big time and have to have quite a bit of experience under their belts to be invited to call a game at this level.

No, it's not. The piece you're continuing to miss is about impeding the progress of the runner. Until the runner's progress is actually impeded (progress or path altered) by a defensive player without the ball, it is not obstruction. Just standing in the base line without the ball is not obstruction because it is not impeding the progress of the runner. This is the exact same in LL, ASA, and USSSA.

The timing of when the catch is made is critical to the call. In the LLWS clip, the ball is caught after contact with the runner. Therefore, the runner's progress has been impeded by a player not in possession of the ball...OBS is correct.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The catcher was pulled in to the base path by the errant throw (after he got up from blocking the plate). Are you saying the catcher isn't allowed to go get the ball?

Sure s/he is...s/he just can't impede the progress of the runner if s/he doesn't have the ball.

Last note from me as well....you have not posted any "rules". You have posted rule supplements and clarifications. When the clarification and/or supplement is in conflict with the rule, the rule takes precedence.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

If going to get the (thrown) ball means they are impeding the progress of the runner while not in possession of the ball, correct. The fielder has the "right of way" on a batted ball. Runner has the "right of way" on a thrown ball.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
That the catcher was set up blocking the plate before the ball ever arrived.

Not hanging the hat on USSSA. LL and also ASA.

The catcher set up portion of this play was not the reason for the obstruction call. Catcher contact of the runner in the base line without the ball was the reason for the obstruction call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom