Catcher mitt for bucket dad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I like the height of a 5gal paint bucket ($3 at the local hardware store). Its a few inches lower than the typical 7gal ball bucket. I added a padded lid from a broken ball bucket to complete the package.

Padded cushion!? How about lining the inside and making it into a cooler for uhhh..., water? I saw a bucket the other day that had speakers in the side and a place to plug in his iPhone for tunes!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Padded cushion!? How about lining the inside and making it into a cooler for uhhh..., water? I saw a bucket the other day that had speakers in the side and a place to plug in his iPhone for tunes!

Whatever works for ya...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
i-see-what-you-did-there-012.jpg

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD only tolerates the bucket (5 Gal) for a short time. She wants me low in the crouch. Fortunately, DD#1 took some lessons with the late great Dave Weaver and I learned how to catch. That said, I think the clock is running on my 55 year old knees. I might try sitting on a smaller bucket...

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I use a smaller bucket as well, which seems to get a lot of attention from folks (I'm 6.4 and I'm often offered the use of a taller bucket.) Wish I could squat, but those days are long gone...

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
DD only tolerates the bucket (5 Gal) for a short time. She wants me low in the crouch. Fortunately, DD#1 took some lessons with the late great Dave Weaver and I learned how to catch. That said, I think the clock is running on my 55 year old knees. I might try sitting on a smaller bucket...

If she wants the glove lower, turn it over. She's throwing to the glove, not the catcher. I don't usually use a plate when I work with pitchers, either baseball or softball. I will set up two feet outside, because sometimes I want them to ignore the "strike zone" and throw to the glove. Put a 2" square piece of tape inside the glove and have her throw to that. If she wants an even lower target, set a softball on top of a beer can and challenge her to knock it off. There are ways to get a low target without torturing your father.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One of things that most impresses me most about the Tour de France riders is how they take care of business at 30 mph

As a former bike racer (although not at TdF level), I can tell you that it is a skill requiring practice. It can go horribly, embarrassingly wrong in a hurry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi