catcher backing up first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2009
Do you have your catcher run down the first base line to back up the throw on an infield grounder with no one on base?

Jul 28, 2010
It depends what age group. 8 and 10 and under no I have the right fielder back up because she is close enough. Any one older than that and my right fielder is playing too far back to get there in a timely manner the catcher can do it sufficiently

Oct 21, 2009
With no one on base the catcher has nothing else to do and can join the RF in backing up the play. I usually tell the catcher their jobs is first to guard the bench entrance to be sure the ball does not go out of play second to get the ball on an overthrow. The C goes to the bench entrance then waits to see where the ball is going and work your way to where the ball goes on an over throw. Depending on the angle of the throw the RF protects the ball from going out of play if there is a short out of play fense.
One thing I notice with many C backing up first is that they run along the foul line as if in a race with the BR. C should be running toward the fense behind 1B because that is where the ball will be should 1B miss the throw.

Feb 9, 2009
why aren't coaches using the pitcher for that reason? They are already half way there, have no equipment on, and have no base to cover...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I watched 3 catchers last night at the U of A. Stacy Chambers did move a few steps toward an angle, to get a little closer to first base, one time. That was from a throw from RF, though.

That was the only time the catcher moved at all.

The pro's catcher, Mackenzie, was a UofA grad. She is fabulous. I was unfamiliar with her. She snagged an Osterman wild pitch that rebounded, high off of the backstop and was inches from the back of the ump's neck. The ump was between her and the ball. She knocked off his mask, but saved his neck.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Stephanie - Here's what comes to mind quickly (in no particular order of importance). 1) The P probably is or should be reacting initially in the direction that the ball is hit which may take her away from 1B. 2) there's the potential for a collision/interference w/ the hitter/runner as the P has to cross the basepath. 3) if there's any player I want conserving energy to focus on their position-specific task, its the pitcher. 4) YOU CHOOSE from (no/few/some/many/all) pitchers don't adjust easily to throwing overhand after windmilling. 5) the pitcher actually isn't that much closer than the C to where overthrows may end up e.g., assuming the overthow ends up 20 ft behind 1B on a direct line from 1B-2B, the distance for the C is 64 ft v. 60 ft for the P.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
I was going to post this question, I told my AC that I didn't want our catchers running up the line at this age (for lots of reasons and the ones provided above), and he saw the Alabama catcher running up the line and called me out on it in front of my team. I told him she did it so it looks cool when the 1b flips her the ball to throw around the horn.

I agree sending the catcher up the line to block the dugout opening.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
In travel ball you can play 5 games in one day, unless you have depth I think you would have your answer. I was a catcher and after two games, in the heat with all the gear on, no way would I be able to run down to first base.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Given the pitcher and catcher are being physically taxed more than any player on the field, particularly in the hot summer weather, my pitcher and catcher won't be running to back up first base. Besides, given the closeness of the fence at first base, the first-baseman should be the first one to a ball that gets past her that the pitcher or catcher could get to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp