Can you Get a hit off a bounced pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
In a game over the weekend, a pitch bounced in front of home plate and the girl with a golf like swing was able to hit the ball in center field for an alleged single. I don't know if the umpire saw this but would this be a valid call if he had?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Totally legal. A bounced pitch can have the same result as any other pitch (with one notable exception).

A bounced pitch can result in a hit batter, it can be swung at and missed for a strike, it can be an uncaught third strike, it could become a foul tip, and, yes, it can be batted into play with the same results you'd have on any other batted ball.

One thing it can't be (if it bounces before the plate, or on the plate) is a called (non-swinging) strike. If the batter doesn't swing it's an automatic "ball".

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have seen it a couple of times. Batter gets fooled by a change up in the dirt and she gets a pieces of it with a golf swing after it bounces.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Haha. It was Bustos that did that in the Olympics. I don't know if it was a HR or not, but Mike Candrea was not happy with her.

I bounce tennis balls to my batting students. They could actually nail a bounced pitch pretty well.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Haha. It was Bustos that did that in the Olympics. I don't know if it was a HR or not, but Mike Candrea was not happy with her.

I bounce tennis balls to my batting students. They could actually nail a bounced pitch pretty well.
It WAS a HR... about 240' shot to left center. It bounced twice. Once off the ground then once off her bat! Lol

Double check with the league. It's pretty common for community leagues that'll have a clause written in their rules saying if it hits the ground before the batter it will be ruled simply a ball. However, in most sanctions, it is a playable ball and the batter is awarded her base.

Feb 29, 2012
"One thing it can't be (if it bounces before the plate, or on the plate) is a called (non-swinging) strike. If the batter doesn't swing it's an automatic "ball"."

Tell that to some of the umpires in my area. Too often seen balls hitting the plate or bouncing right in front of it called strikes, no swings.
In our spring rec league, balls that bounce in front of the plate are dead balls. The batter doesn't get first if it hits her since its dead. I think we are changing that rule next year

Apr 1, 2013
"One thing it can't be (if it bounces before the plate, or on the plate) is a called (non-swinging) strike. If the batter doesn't swing it's an automatic "ball"."

Tell that to some of the umpires in my area. Too often seen balls hitting the plate or bouncing right in front of it called strikes, no swings.
In our spring rec league, balls that bounce in front of the plate are dead balls. The batter doesn't get first if it hits her since its dead. I think we are changing that rule next year

Agreed. I have also seen balls hit the plate called strikes and I have also seen hit balls that bounce off the plate called foul.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207