called out for not touching home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
DD was called out over the weekend for not touching home plate. Despite the fact that I think she did, we were more amazed by the circumstances. Overheard umpire encouraging the catcher to get the ball and step on home. Runner was called out for missing home plate and proceeding to dug out. Problem is, this WAS NOT challenged by the other team in the first place. Even if the umpire thinks he saw this, shouldn't the other team need to appeal?

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
It is only ruled upon after an appeal from the defensive teams coach. What age group?

if its young kids I can see an umpire helping teach the younger players but on that same note I wouldn't punish a young player who may have missed the plate. As an umpire Id stay quiet and after the play (if it wasn't appealed) Id kindly remind the girl to touch the plate or let the coach remind her for future occurrences.

Jun 22, 2008
An umpire should not be tipping either team to rules infractions that require an appeal to be made.

Oct 10, 2013
This happened in our 14u championship game in the fall. if we won...he would have missed the football game on tv. It was the last play of the game...he didn't miss his game

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Had a PU call my daughter out at 3rd when she was clearly safe. Later explained that she had missed first base two plays prior and she should have been out anyway.

:mad: Thanks for coming out to the ball park Mr. Umpire, please go away:mad:

Mar 1, 2013
I can't imagine screwing a team or making a call designed to get me home early or keep me on schedule.

If half of the stuff I see you guys complaining about is true, I'd like to offer my most sincere apologies on behalf of the rest of the umpires that, while not perfect, actually go out and try to call the game fairly, correctly and by the rules.

May 22, 2012
I can't imagine screwing a team or making a call designed to get me home early or keep me on schedule.

If half of the stuff I see you guys complaining about is true, I'd like to offer my most sincere apologies on behalf of the rest of the umpires that, while not perfect, actually go out and try to call the game fairly, correctly and by the rules.

I encounter mostly good umpires, I mean they miss calls here and there but they are not computers. What I always detest is the notion that the umpire "cannot be questioned". It's my call, I'm the boss, mentality. It's right if I say it's right, etc. I know the above issue I posted about was mishandled but ego got in the way and therefore I had no recourse. Just a screaming match. I took the high road...this time! :)

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It is only ruled upon after an appeal from the defensive teams coach...

Well, maybe...

Some rule sets, like ASA, require the appeal to come from a player. So even if the runner missed the plate by ten feet, if the coach comes out and appeals that all the umpire might say is, "Coach, that's not a valid appeal".

Who can appeal and what they can appeal varies between sanctioning bodies. Check your rule book for details!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207