Call a dang timeout!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Still trying to figure out what is so bad about actually coaching when that's what you're freaking there for...Ken Ericksen does it on almost every play with Team USA, a group of highly skilled and motivated WOMEN who could coach themselves in any situation...why are we just supposed to sit back and let the wheels come off?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Still trying to figure out what is so bad about actually coaching when that's what you're freaking there for...Ken Ericksen does it on almost every play with Team USA, a group of highly skilled and motivated WOMEN who could coach themselves in any situation...why are we just supposed to sit back and let the wheels come off?

IMO at that level you manage, not coach, and should determine strategy and then just sit back and let them execute and build and keep the momentum rolling instead of getting in the way and micromanaging every pitch. You take a more active role when things turn south.

I did like Ericksen's move of immediately sitting a player after she didn't slide into 2B in one of their recent games.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Phil Jackson (ex NBA head coach) was notorious for not calling timeouts and letting his team play through rough spots. He has quite a few rings...

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I have a signal for catcher to call TO.

Why would a pitcher get mad about a timeout? I rarely pull the pitcher on the first timeout so they know they get one--plus if a kid yells at me in a TO I won't let them pitch, before they get time to get groove back (never heard of such a thing in 15 years).

Aren't the coaches jumping out of their socks to call timeout when things go bad? That feeling is awful so I don't know how they stand it, especially since they have so many coaches helping out (average I see is 4)....what else could you be concentrating on?

She got mad because she was wanting to work it out on her own. I don't consider that a bad thing. **Sometimes you just have to let the kids play and work it out on their own. Of course it is my job to coach, but if sports imitates life like some people say, there isn't always a coach around so someone has to figure it out.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2013
I think you have to know your team. My team is very young and I can see the deer in the headlights start with one or two errors. I've gotten into the habit of calling time, bringing the infielders in - getting them refocused on situations and watching them bounce back. Early in the year, I might not have done that but learned the lesson the hard way, watching them give up a 2-1 lead in a winnable game and losing 11-2 when the wheels just fell off.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There is a big difference between the Chicago Bulls and the 11yo LL All Stars. I could sit and yell at this group and they won't have a clue, but, if I move off of my arse and go out and tell them, there can be no misunderstanding.

Pat Summitt was a master of the time out. In her book she told about a time when she had called a play, the girls walked onto the court, huddled and changed the play. She was not happy.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
At 14U one time after a particularly ugly set of errors, we were still ahead but then by less of a margin. The girls were getting tight and frustrated and worried. I called time and walked to the mound and just started speaking Spanish to them as fast as I could, I didn't really even know all the words I was saying, and I walked off. As I was headed back to the dugout, they all busted out laughing and it was like music to my ears. I absolutely love those kinds of moments when the parents are sitting there are looking at me like, "what in the Wide Wide World of Sports did you just say to those kids." We ended up crushing the other team. :D

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As far as the speaking Spanish, yes. You can also go out and say "Nod your head yes." "Nod it No" Everyone thinks that you did something wonderful.

Jul 2, 2013
Having a great catcher, and giving her the latitude to use her instincts, is of great value.

A great catcher can go to the mound, have a discussion to the whole infield, and settle everyone down. All without an actual time out.

Many times the young lady in the circle who is getting hammered is the coaches daughter. That in and of itself determines the coaches actions, which is vastly different than what happens in real softball when DD in the circle is not the coaches ... In my opinion.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Sorry I don't tolerate a player yelling at me. Sit them. Was this player your kid? Even worse, and that is typically what happens, the parent coach lets them off. This is not a good environment for the rest of the players. If you (the player) don't have composure and focus on the team/game and you are more about yourself, you don't play. Players know my rules. Being lenient sets them up for having tantrums at college with a professor or the college coach, the store with a clerk, or at work with the boss, whenever things don't go their way, and that lesson needs to be learned.

I disagree and it wasn't my kid. I'm also not sure how one wanting to get themselves out of a rut is selfish. Yanking her right then and there teaches them nothing except to not yell at the coach. Giving them a chance to work through their frustration within reason teaches a more valuable lesson.

Equating this to kid throwing a tantrum is way off base.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad