Cal Ripken's Bottom Hand Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I'm in the middle of transferring my coaching library over to Google Drive, and as I'm transferring, I'm looking at everything to get rid of outdated resources or things I don't agree with anymore. I came across the link to this Cal Ripken bottom hand drill video.

Here's my question: His cue is "backhand to the ball" and he demonstrates the movement first without a bat - literally backhanding to contact. What do you guys and gals think about this cue/mechanic?

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Wrightbothand_zpsc8bff2a5.gif

David Wright

May 16, 2010
I'm in the middle of transferring my coaching library over to Google Drive, and as I'm transferring, I'm looking at everything to get rid of outdated resources or things I don't agree with anymore. I came across the link to this Cal Ripken bottom hand drill video.

Here's my question: His cue is "backhand to the ball" and he demonstrates the movement first without a bat - literally backhanding to contact. What do you guys and gals think about this cue/mechanic?

Absolutely agree.

A few years ago I was at early spring training for the Rangers and they were using that bat and doing the same thing as Cal.

They were hitting while a coach did firm front toss from behind a screen about 20 feet away. First the bottom hand then the top.

The bottom hand does supinate a bit at contact when you swing with both hands.

miggynoroll.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
The one-handed top hand drill has become one of my most used drills. I have found that it contributes greatly to added power in the swing. The way we do it gets the hips involved better than anything I've found so far. I discovered that by accident but now it's the major focus of the drill—for me, that is—the players do it without realizing it at first.

The kid is doing the top hand portion more with his hips, like I'm talking about. Ripkin is too much over top of his front foot in the video.

I've only used the bottom hand on a few occasions but it seems that it would be mostly for direction like Ripkin said.

May 16, 2010
So is palm up/ palm down at contact incorrect?

Technically, yes. But, it's not necessarily a bad thought. You do NOT want to roll both wrists so that they are both vertical at contact, so "palm up/palm down" is a good thought. You roll the wrists AFTER contact, but the bottom hand will start to roll first, and is PARTIALLY rolled at contact.

It's not LITERALLY backhanding the ball. It has the FEEL of backhanding the ball. That's what Cal said.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Thanks to all for the replies. I'm gaining understanding.

Next question: In the Ripken video, it looks like call really pushes the bottom hand to contact (as sbphreak noted - it looks like he's a little too over the top). When doing the drill, would you recommend more of a "whipping" action, using the front side to pull the hand through vs. pushing it through. I may not be explaining this well. I don't like the feel/look of the bottom hand elbow going "down" through contact (hand above the elbow). I want my hitters to have the elbow above the hand, like in a real swing - right? Would that require more of whipping/pulling vs. pushing?

I just want to make the drill as authentic and "game-like" as possible.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Bottom hand drill should it be like a hammering action then roll to extension?

That's how I see it. I guess I'm just verifying using lateral tilt with the hammering action for the drill. The Ripken video had the hitter swinging down without lateral tilt, which I think is bad mechanics. Using lateral tilt and front-side pull is different than using arm action/arm push to complete the drill. Which motion is best for the drill?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321