Cahnge up question for R Pauley or whoever.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Sorry JJ and Ken. I am still lost. My DD throws a change that drops to the outside. I am not sure if she knows what she does. I love the 3 speed CU JJ! I just need to make sure I understand the hand position. Please can u describe again?

We do I/R. We can spin 7/1. So at release where is the ball facing and where are the fingers pointing? Are they vertical?

Ken, hand inside the ball? What does that mean? Hand between body and ball?

Thanks for your patience!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Really just two components to it. Instead of having the ball as far on the fingers as she can handle, bury it in the palm. if you are familiar with the "lead with the pinky" cue at release change it to "lead with the forefinger" at release. Or put in other words, instead of "keep your hand inside the ball" the cue is "let your hand go outside of the ball". It is also the same as if she were doing the flip change but released it a little early before the hand is all the way around the front of the ball. In fact, the missed flip change is how we found this. NOTE- HER FLIP WAS A FLIP AT THE LAST SECOND TYPE-NOT THAT VERSION WHERE THE HAND IS ALREADY IN A BACKHAND POSITION WAY UP THE CIRCLE- WE WERE TRYING TO ROTATE THE HAND AT THE VERY LAST SECOND TO THE BACKHAND POSITION FOR THE FLIP.

The spin should be roughly 10-4 ish from the catcher's perspective.

See how Sarah's hand is still internally rotating around the outside of the ball at release? Sarah has a lot more intentional spin than my DD, my DD just lets her hand cut across the outside of the ball, but it is the same concept.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Ok JJ! I think I now know how the pitch show look like "lead with the forefinger". I guess you end up with a claw hand facing the catcher? I think my dd does this already but I don't think she knows what she is doing. Like I said before her CU does curve and drop to the outside. Now I know how we should b throwing it and the variation of it. (palm and fingers) The only difference between the two pitches is the speed? I can wait to try it!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1