Bunting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Am I the only person who sees the irony in someone who's screen name is "HITTING COACH" asking for advice on hitting for 8 year olds.....

Maybe he followed the Kent Murphy theory of bunting when he was playing

fair warning NSFW language with a few f-bombs thrown in before you click the link.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
That's a pretty good video. My question would be does everyone like the batter moving up in the box? I know it gives more fair territory to work with but a good defense will see it and you lose the element of surprise.

I like them to move up, but not so much it gives it away. I tell my kids that they should start with their back foot no farther back than the middle of home plate.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
That's a pretty good video. My question would be does everyone like the batter moving up in the box? I know it gives more fair territory to work with but a good defense will see it and you lose the element of surprise.

If it's a sacrifice, it doesn't matter, if it's a sneaky bunt our girls start where they normally would in the box

Mar 11, 2009
Bat should start at under arm height, both elbows bent at 90 degrees bat endcap slightly higher than knob(maybe half a ball) and bat is not horizontal. Eyes should be right on the bat.
When moving down in the zone to bunt batter bends knees and does not drop bat head, should not bend their back( I tell them drop the hips, only way to do that is by bending knees). Bat should be in front of the plate. On a sac bunt show it early. If they are sneaky bunting make sure hands lead the feet(meaning hands will go to slap position before feet turn to bunt position so you don't bunt too hard like a swinging bunt) so as to keep the bunt soft. Most of the time we want to keep the bunt away from the third baseman(one of strongest arm's and very athletic)...Catch the ball with the bat, like an egg you don't want to break. Here is a good video for slap bunting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd_qIHLSarc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi