Bunting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
The front elbow should be level or above the barrel when bunting. This allows the hitter to adjust in and out and direct easier. The rear elbow is under the barrel.

I teach younger girls this high front elbow technique too. In my experience, on a bunt, younger girls have a tendency to try to control the bat using the handle instead of the barrel. By keeping that front elbow high, it forces them move the barrel and knees not the handle of the bat to get to the ball.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
I teach a full grab with the top hand, and both hands together at the top of the handle. Also 45 degree angle.

I also found the pinch grip tended to get pushed back or twisted.
Which do u think would be better for 8u and 10u players. I teach pinch version, because not sure quickness is there at that age.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
I teach the pinch with top hand and bottom hand stays where it was and move up in the box. Bat is held out in front, arms slightly bent with bat at less than a 45* angle. Bat starts at the top of the strike zone. Feet stay in batting stance, not back foot squaring up to pitch. I have my players line up the back foot with the back corner of the square part of the plate. We are a 10u team.

Nov 8, 2014
I think we as coaches tend to over-complicate bunting. Whether it be the grip or bat angle or stance or location in the box, we have to stress one thing no matter what.... contact the ball above the equator. Always, without exception, and no matter what. Start high and finish lower is preferred but always contact the ball on its upper half. Never ever make contact below the equator. Once that's clear, everything else can follow.

May 26, 2013
I teach a full grab with the top hand, and both hands together at the top of the handle. Also 45 degree angle.

I also found the pinch grip tended to get pushed back or twisted.

This is how my DD bunts. She was given two options when she was first taught. She prefers this way. Unfortunately, she's a very good bunter and is asked to sacrifice a lot. :-(