Bunting question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 17, 2009
I was told that when bunting it is legal to bunt the ball and drop the bat directly in front of the plate and run. I was told this was to stop a ball with backspin from rolling back to the plate and foul. Was I told correctly?

Jun 22, 2008
If the bat is stationary and the ball touches it in fair territory, it is a live ball. However, if the umpire judges that the bat was in motion and contacted the ball it can be ruled as a 2nd hit and if the batter is out of the box she would be out.

May 13, 2008
If the bat is stationary and the ball touches it in fair territory, it is a live ball. However, if the umpire judges that the bat was in motion and contacted the ball it can be ruled as a 2nd hit and if the batter is out of the box she would be out.

Whether the bat is moving or not is moot. What is judged by the umpire is intent; basically if the bat is made to contact the ball it is interference. If the ball rolls into the bat, the bat is considered part of the field.

May 7, 2008
When you bunt you want to place the bat in front of the plate, just so the catcher has to step over it, make it harder for catcher to get to the ball.

In that case then, the catcher should grab the bat on base hits and place it 5-10 feet up the third base line to make it harder for runners to score without dodging the bat?

Feb 8, 2009
I wish they would change the rule on the bat rolling into the ball. It seems to be easily misjudged. If the bat hits the ball, it does not prove intent.A batter can flip the bat a little high, causing it to come to rest later, possibly hitting the ball in the process.It wouldn't be necessarily intentional.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
In that case then, the catcher should grab the bat on base hits and place it 5-10 feet up the third base line to make it harder for runners to score without dodging the bat?

Not sure where your coming from, but of course the batter can drop the bat where they want, and the catcher obviously cant do anything about it.

I assure you that is specifically taught at collegiate level and on very good travel teams.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I was told that when bunting it is legal to bunt the ball and drop the bat directly in front of the plate and run. I was told this was to stop a ball with backspin from rolling back to the plate and foul. Was I told correctly?

Speaking ASA

If the bat hits the ball, it is INT. If the ball hits the bat, it is nothing. If the ball hits the bat in fair territory, live ball. If it hits the bat in foul territory, it is a foul ball.

A batter-runner can discard the bat or carry it with them. It is only illegal if discarded in a manner which prevents the defense from making a play on the ball.

leo

Nov 5, 2009
bunt

My daughter who catches had seen this happen. Depending on location of the ball after the bunt she will either kick the bat or just toss it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207