Bunt or no Bunt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
What is the difference between a slap and a drag bunt? It is an umpires judgement call on if the ball is 'tapped' and it has been my experience that most umpires will not call a girl out on a 3rd strike drag bunt because the hitting motion is very similar to a slap. It is basically a controlled slap hit.

A slap is the act of swinging the bat in an attempt to strike the ball. A drag bunt is a left handed batter allowing the ball come to the bat that is moving in conjunction with the batter body.

Please note, in spite of some's belief, a RH batter cannot execuate a drag bunt, it can only occur from the left side of the plate.

Jul 30, 2012
Raymond Ohio
That is a misconception. The bat moving with the body, is not a swing.

The definition of a bunt:

ASA: A pitched ball that is intentionally tapped with the bat, slowly, within the infield

NFHS: A legally batted ball not swung at, but intentionally tapped with the bat

So my contention of of drag bunt on 2 strikes and it is fouled, should be an out is correct? My thought has always been it is the same as bunting with two strikes. I thought they were the same only one is stationary but neither are a swing by rule.

Jul 30, 2012
Raymond Ohio
Please note, in spite of some's belief, a RH batter cannot execuate a drag bunt, it can only occur from the left side of the plate.

Can you elaborate? Why can it not be done on the right side. Not that I would advocate it, is there a ruling that prohibits such action?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Can you elaborate? Why can it not be done on the right side. Not that I would advocate it, is there a ruling that prohibits such action?

I suppose a RH batter could drag bunt but she would be running up the third baseline at contact, which would defeat the purpose of the drag bunt.

Jul 30, 2012
Raymond Ohio
Chinamigarden,
Absolutely agree.
Was curious to MTR posting of statement of " a RH batter cannot execuate a drag bunt,can only occur from the left side of the plate."
Not that I disagreed, but was wondering why? Is there a rule prohibiting it?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So my contention of of drag bunt on 2 strikes and it is fouled, should be an out is correct? My thought has always been it is the same as bunting with two strikes. I thought they were the same only one is stationary but neither are a swing by rule.

A bunt is a bunt regardless of the adjective. BTW, "swinging bunt" is an oxymoron.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Can you elaborate? Why cannot be done on the right side. Not that I would advocate it, is there a ruling that prohibits such action?

This IS, or has been known to me and the kids I grew up, common knowledge with since around 1961. Why in the world would someone be dumb enough to run toward third dragging the ball?

I don't disagree that today's trainers use terminology to name something, but often they use familiar terms which don't match the origin. Drag=pull. Left hander literally runs the box with the right hand with the handle just below the belt buckle w/LH on the taper. Batter bunts ball in a dragging method down the line. Hopefully too far for the catcher to make the play and it forces F3 to make the play. The top priority for the BR is to not get hit by the ball s/he just hit though it often seems like the BR and ball are racing up the line.

Of course, this is more a play for baseball since softball infielders often crash the plate, but if you catch them laying back, it is a great move. If executed properly, it will be difficult to get anyone but the BR. OTOH, if the BR passes F3 before F3 gets the ball, it is going to be difficult to get an out.

Oct 24, 2010
This IS, or has been known to me and the kids I grew up, common knowledge with since around 1961. Why in the world would someone be dumb enough to run toward third dragging the ball? ...

'Cause ASA doesn't specify in which order the bases must be run. ;)