bullet spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2011
amanda scarborough and nancy evans describe how they throw one of their fastballs with a bullet spin, making it easier to transition into other movement pitches rather than the peel drop style of fastball, has others on this forum had success using this method and making it easier for the transition into other pitches, and can anyone tell me what kind of speed did nancy or amanda have in college with their fastball.

Jan 27, 2010
I recall Amanda's speed was 69-70 mph and I believe Nancy's speed was in the mid sixties. As far as the bullet spin, I don't discourage it and believe many are more suited to it than the peel drop or tumble style. The turn on the wrist for the bullet spin is similar to the rise, curve and screwball; different angles of and at release.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
My DD throws with natural bullet spin. We worked with PC to get rid of it but gave up when we realized that she had good speed and control with it. As she's started to throw harder the bullet spin creates nasty screwball action. She's 9.

Jul 26, 2010
Cat Osterman throws a fastball with bullet spin as well.

Thing is, none of those pitchers throw fastballs in game situations anymore. It's a bit of a moot point. With the fastball, concentrate on mechanics. Footwork, weight transfer, elbow leading and arm whip(IR). However the ball is spinning after this is fine, it's a fastball.

There are plenty of exercises for young pitchers to practice spins.

That said, there is nothing "natural" about pitching. I hear this used by bucket dads all the time. "she has a natural break on her FB". There is correct and incorrect, not "natural". If your kid was taught to spin her fastball and you are happy with this approach, then she is correct. If her PC is expecting and teaching a different outcome, then your kid is incorrect and doing something wrong.

-W

-W

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Wouldn't you loose speed by throwing the bullet spin? Imagine (12-6 spin fastball) the fingers directly behind the ball those last milliseconds of the release flicking the ball forward. Where as with a bullet part of that flick would impart the side spin on the ball and not propel it forward.

Just an observation, I know it probably doesn't matter in the long run.

I do not understand how a pure bullet spin will move the ball at all. After all bullets are spun to increase accuracy and not move. I can see how an imperfect bullet spin would move the ball unpredictably, but not move very much.

Jul 28, 2008
Wouldn't you loose speed by throwing the bullet spin? Imagine (12-6 spin fastball) the fingers directly behind the ball those last milliseconds of the release flicking the ball forward. Where as with a bullet part of that flick would impart the side spin on the ball and not propel it forward.

Just an observation, I know it probably doesn't matter in the long run.

I do not understand how a pure bullet spin will move the ball at all. After all bullets are spun to increase accuracy and not move. I can see how an imperfect bullet spin would move the ball unpredictably, but not move very much.

I haven't noticed any loss of speed from those who pitch with a bullet spin.

As for why bullets spin, it's too keep them from wobbling and tumbling, which in turn increases speed and accuracy.

I have heard many people on here say that a bullet spin would go straight, but after catching for many girls with bullet spins I can tell you that is definitely not the case. It does break. For righties, it's down and away from a right handed batter. For lefties, it's down an in.

Jul 26, 2010
Yeah, bullets have to spin (the invention that allows them to do so was rifling), otherwise they would just tumble end over end. When calculating ballistics for a long range shot, the spin and movement this creates actually needs to be taken into account. Bullets don't spin to make them go straight, it's just a physical necessity. A ball has the same aerodynamics no matter which end is facing which, so putting bullet spin on a ball isn't going to accomplish anything to keep the ball going straight, it will move a bit.

Fastballs need to be accurate above all else. The pitcher needs to be able to hit a ball off a T set up over the plate 7 out of 10 times before they can consider themselves accurate. Having fastballs that "move" make this a bit more difficult.

IMHO, the peel drop spin that Hillhouse teaches or some variation of the ball rolling off the end of the longest finger works the best, but it's a fastball, it's a temporary tool used to adjust the mechanics of the pitch, really.

-W

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
I always thought rifling was done on black powder rifles that use round lead balls to increase accuracy.

As far as moving. If the ball is spinning on an axis that is in line with it's trajectory the seams would have the same bite all the way around. Not a physicist either. After farther thought I think the ones that move are not perfect bullet spins, probably off a little giving the seams on one side of the axis more exposure to the front of the ball thus more bite.

Sorry for highjacking the thread.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes