Building the Perfect Travel Team Roster

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2009
I am curious what other coaches try to do regarding filling their roster; how many players do you carry on the roster?, do you look for particular attributes?, do you take the best player available?, do you recruit or have tryouts?, etc. I am not looking for answers to specifics questions and already have opinions concerning most of these items, but I am interested to see what others think about the process in general. I am hoping that this thread becomes an open discussion concerning all aspects of building a travel ball roster. Examples:

1) It is common advice on DFP that parents should look for the best quality team that their DD can be one of the top 9 players. As a parent I am not opposed to that thought process. In fact it is advice that I give to families that ask my opinion on the topic. However, as a coach, I realize that winning at travel ball will often require more than 9 players. Vacations, injuries, rest, etc provide opportunities for other players to get playing time, and sometimes important playing time. So, how do you build a roster of 11 or 12 players (or more) and still keep each player not only happy, but prepared and ready to contribute when they are needed?

2) It is also common advice that pitchers should look to be one of the top three on their team, and preferably one of the top two. At least in my area, it is not uncommon for teams to use 3 pitchers on Saturday (pool play), but then only use 2 on Sunday (bracket play). If you are not among the top 3, your opportunities will be very limited. If you are not among the top 2, your total innings will probably be significantly lower than the others. As a coach I realize that having more than 2 pitchers is essential. I have never coached a team with pitchers that did not have bad days. And I don't like to work pitchers excessively. So if you carry 3 or 4 pitchers on your roster, how do you keep them happy and get them innings?

Great questions. I will give you my two cents on what I have seen work.

Answer to (1) I have seen it best when your 10th and 11th players are the #2 pitcher and #2 catcher. They both still get alot of playing time during tournaments with smart coaches so they are happy but they sit mostly when they are not pitching and catching. If you carry a 12th player they are truly a utility who can play almost anywhere and have a good bat so they can DH and sub at multiple positions.

Answer to (2) I have seen it ideal where the #3 pitcher is really good at another position and pitching is not their full-time passion but will take the load when needed. Obviously that is hard to find and they may not be effective since it is not a top priority. So the second way I have seen this work is the #3 is clearly #3 but is given maximum time in pool and selected bracket games against weaker opponents. And I have seen the coach give that pitcher permission to pitch with other teams in the off times so she gets additional circle time.

All great questions because you are right, keeping those 10-x players and pitcher #3 happy is a delicate balance and is often times the difference between teams that can go deep into tournaments and those that cannot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad