Bowlers kick

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
Idk if it's a big deal but when my DD does the bowling kick vs bringing the knee forward to the plate, she loses about 5-7mph on the pitch. Plus it makes her lean forward and usually is a high pitch...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Oct 16, 2014
The foot is just attached to the leg which is attached to the hips. Does the PC like her brush cotact and hip action?

My Dd doesn't have an issue (her hips are fine, she stays aligned). He just warned us that if the foot kicks out too far it can cause the knee to flare out which can spin the hips and throw stuff off. She has't had this issue, He was just explaining what "could" happen. He's not trying to get her to stop doing it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A bowlers leg kick is usually accompanied by a bend at the waist, just like a bowler, and it is significantly limiting the leg drive your DD gets behind the pitch. A good drill is attaching a dog squeaky toy to the top of her right foot (RHP) with velcro or duct tape. When she pitches she has to make the toy "squeak" by driving the top of her right foot into the back of her left calf forming the "figure 4" that others have mentioned.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
My DD's PC has been getting onto her about her "bowlers kick". PC wants her back foot to drive straight towards the plate. DD's natural move is more of a "bowlers kick" (back foot finishes behind her front leg).

When she focuses on it, she can do what PC ask. But, on the field, in the heat of the moment, she goes back to the dreaded "kick". Is this a huge deal or just a personal preference from her PC.

Thanks in advance for comments.

If the back toes tuck in and finish behind the front heel, that's not a problem. It's a correct motion. (See the videos KnightSB posted earlier.)

If the back toes go straight down the line and pass the front toes, it is a problem.

So really, it all depends on what she's actually doing versus what the coach wants her to do. I agree you don't want the back foot going way out away from front foot, but if it's just drawing a little semi-circle in the dirt and finishing by the front foot you're in good shape.

Jul 17, 2012
Well, I used to think DD's mule kick was OK....and then I was edgumicated. I was actually forced to remember the old song... foot bone's connected to the .....shin bone....shin bone's connected to the..... thigh bone...thigh bone's connected to the HIP BONE....Yeah the HIP!! It's all about the HIP. I watched my dd after I sang that song.... She CAN'T get into a stacked position on release, because the damn mule kick is pulling her hip out of alignment!!! So yeah... I guess take a look at it from that perspective. If your DD is Houdini, and can stay in line, or stacked with the figure 4 as you call it... rock on. It's irrelevant. So far my study of all the pitchers I interact with that have the figure 4 or mule kick, or whatever you want to call it.... have no upper arm deceleration and BLOW right through the release point...because they aren't in a stabilized, or stacked position because they cant bring their hip through to create that stabilized position. Instead, they clear the hips and blow right past that point where they should have gotten rid of the ball. (Thanks Java for enlightening me!!)

Oct 16, 2014
Well, I used to think DD's mule kick was OK....and then I was edgumicated. I was actually forced to remember the old song... foot bone's connected to the .....shin bone....shin bone's connected to the..... thigh bone...thigh bone's connected to the HIP BONE....Yeah the HIP!! It's all about the HIP. I watched my dd after I sang that song.... She CAN'T get into a stacked position on release, because the damn mule kick is pulling her hip out of alignment!!! So yeah... I guess take a look at it from that perspective. If your DD is Houdini, and can stay in line, or stacked with the figure 4 as you call it... rock on. It's irrelevant. So far my study of all the pitchers I interact with that have the figure 4 or mule kick, or whatever you want to call it.... have no upper arm deceleration and BLOW right through the release point...because they aren't in a stabilized, or stacked position because they cant bring their hip through to create that stabilized position. Instead, they clear the hips and blow right past that point where they should have gotten rid of the ball. (Thanks Java for enlightening me!!)

thank you. You just explained what I was saying (in so many words) I'm no expert so didn't want to elaborate too much and then possible mislead , but what you've said here sums up what my DDs PC has said :)

A bowlers leg kick is usually accompanied by a bend at the waist, just like a bowler, and it is significantly limiting the leg drive your DD gets behind the pitch. A good drill is attaching a dog squeaky toy to the top of her right foot (RHP) with velcro or duct tape. When she pitches she has to make the toy "squeak" by driving the top of her right foot into the back of her left calf forming the "figure 4" that others have mentioned.

This is what our PC does.

Dec 15, 2015
Thank you for all of the responses. After reading them all several times, I believe it does cause her to bend at the waist (leading to all of the other issues mentioned). I have heard him say both to her ("don't bend at the waist" and "stop bowling"). I am going today to get a squeaky toy to tape to her shoe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1