Bicep Pain?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
I can tell you that it will only get worse. I let mine go to long, it is little micro tears in the tendon. I speak of my own experiences, I also had tennis elbow at the sametime. Both required surgery, my bicep tendon is now held on with pins and screws. The tennis elbow surgery, they cut the tendon from the orginal location and moved it, they drilled a hole in the bone and looped through. Repetition was a major cause of my injury. I lost grip strength, and 30% of supination of my hand. Take her to the Doctor.

Mar 25, 2011
I've been there. Lifting a glass causes pain. It's not fun. Rest for sure.
My dd also has had some arm pain from throwing overhand...in most part just overuse and overthrowing. She has a small mechanical issue we work on, but she isn't too bad.

The cure: Each night after she works out, she drinks a one of those chocolate flavored muscle milks. The protein in them seems to do the trick on reducing the pain. After about the first week of using the added protein... she stopped suffering pain in her arm. She has experimented with not drinking the milkshake after some workouts, and discovers that the pain will come back after a few days of use.

However, she throws from all sectors of the field, and of course, right field to home plate. So her arm is taking a beating. You should not be suffereing extreme pain from just working in the infield at a moderate tempo... (although 3rd to first is a big throw, and you better put your body into it....).

Feb 21, 2013
Just an update... Probably more of a therapeutic post to express my angst. DD has been resting her arm for almost two weeks. Had follow-up visit with doctor today and he is saying he wants to give it another 3-4 weeks with a recheck. It is truly gut wrenching to see her with tears rolling down her cheeks. Her TB team has two big tournaments coming up and her MS fall season starts right after Labor Day. She is an emotional wreck. I try to stay positive with her. The doctor says he sees no longer term issues. He just thinks it is very prudent to be overly cautious with her at 13 yrs old. I have a great deal of confidence in him. He is the team doctor for the athletics department of our local D1 university, and he has treated numerous MLB players.

Interestingly, he is a firm believer that girls are throwing too many pitches at a young age. He even referenced the chart from orthopedic association (i think sluggers posted it at one time). He feels that even those itch counts are high. He encouraged me to limit her to 200-250 pitches a week until she is much older.

Anyway, if anybody has any suggestions on how to help her through this emotionally I am all ears. All I know to do is love & support her every step of the way. I suppose it is a good life lesson. Life is full of disappointments and it is the way we dust ourselves off that matters!

Feb 4, 2013
I feel your pain. Very sorry for her having to sit and wait to heal.

As an off hand suggestion, perhaps work on the mental aspect of her game during this time? For example, which pitch is best when? How to recognize "tells" in other pitchers? Game strategy? Mental toughness and how to handle those rough situations in game? Watching video to learn how other teams/college teams deal with certain situations? Softball IQ increases type stuff.

Another thing to look at is strengthening other parts of her game while her throwing is down. Make sure the Doc is ok with it, but then work on foot speed, leg strength, agility, flexibility, that type of thing.

Maybe if she can see improvement in those things during her time off from throwing, she will see the time as valuable (lessening the difficulty) and when its time to come back she can come back with a vengeance!

Hate to see our little one's suffer, don't we? Absolutely wish the best of luck to you.

Feb 21, 2013
jasonacer--thanks for the suggestion. That is a good idea. In fact, she is currently reading 10 Minute Toughness. We definitely will be working on some of the other stuff as well. The doctor told her it was fine for her to do some conditioning & lower half work...

You are right that it is gut wrenching to watch them suffer.... as they say though, this too shall pass

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Is the MD guessing here?

Your doctor is taking the extreme 'cover his arse' approach. Now, if he is mistaken and there IS a long term problem and it gets worse,, "Yup, I told you she was throwing too much". Did he order any type of scan on her upper arm and shoulder to know exactly what is wrong and eliminate the guess work?

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
He is the team doctor for the athletics department of our local D1 university, and he has treated numerous MLB players.

It sounds like he knows his stuff. And it just isn't the lady behind the counter at Walgreens, where I get all of my health advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan