Best way to find teams to pick up with

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2015
GA
My daughter is currently 8U, moving up to 10U this fall. Our travel team ends its season the last weekend in June. We'll be finding her a new team this fall when teams start having tryouts (we think we know where she'll end up but aren't 100% sure about much yet). We'd like to find a team to pick up some tournaments with in July and August, while we are team-less. Any tips? She's a very strong player. She's been in pitching lessons since Jan and will probably be lead off pitcher on our new 10U team, if we don't end up getting an experienced pitcher. In 8U she plays first mostly, plus pitcher, third, and short, and even outfield at times. I have some videos of her making some amazing plays. I think most teams who saw her in action would be happy to pick her up, I'm just not sure how to let them know that ;) Mostly we just really don't want 2 months off! Any tips?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You might not like my tip but here it is. Take the time off. My dd was always better after her yearly break. Let her take some lessons. Let her play rec soccer. Play catch with her. But give her a break from the tourney grind. 8 years old means there is a lot of softball a head. Don't feel like you need to fill every weekend with ball.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If post your location, someone here might know of a discussion board where people post for that kind of thing. We have our little viper pit here in NJ called NJ.com We have teams looking for players and players looking for teams. Good luck.

Chinamigarden has a good idea. 8's need to be kids too.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Mostly we just really don't want 2 months off!

By "we," do you mean your DD or you? Ask your DD what she wants to do. If she's anything like mine, she doesn't want the time off; even at that age. The best thing to do is put your state name and the words "fastpitch softball forum" or "site" in your search engine and go from there. Most states have a site specific to their state which posts tryout information, teams looking for players, players looking for teams, sub opportunities, etc. etc. as well as discussion threads.

On the other hand, if your DD says she wants to swim away the Summer and be a kid with her friends, listen to her. Otherwise she may not be playing SB by 14U.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Network and network some more.

8U might be a little hard because they all want to play unless it is a Team you do not want to play for anyways.

Ask your coach, instructor, other Team’s parents, etc. I would not have her play just to play, I would like to know at least a little bit about the Team.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If post your location, someone here might know of a discussion board where people post for that kind of thing. We have our little viper pit here in NJ called NJ.com We have teams looking for players and players looking for teams. Good luck.

Not to mention it is a very entertaining forum!

At 8U, I would take a break. Most kids that age are not playing TB at all, and 2 months off is not going to set her back.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
We have some veteran softball parents here on the board, and I believe that I speak for most of them when I say "Take a break with the family...have fun! Enjoy the summer!" Because if she continues to play softball, it will consume your summers from 12U through college...she is young and resilient...2 months will not set her back...at all. Sure y'all can have throwing practice/pitching practice, but please, don't make playing time year round at this age. She will burn out before it really gets fun.

I know that didn't answer your question. I am not from NE so I can't help you with regards to finding teams to pick up with. I guess word of mouth works best.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
We have some veteran softball parents here on the board, and I believe that I speak for most of them when I say "Take a break with the family...have fun! Enjoy the summer!" Because if she continues to play softball, it will consume your summers from 12U through college...she is young and resilient...2 months will not set her back...at all. Sure y'all can have throwing practice/pitching practice, but please, don't make playing time year round at this age. She will burn out before it really gets fun.

I know that didn't answer your question. I am not from NE so I can't help you with regards to finding teams to pick up with. I guess word of mouth works best.

Completely echo these thoughts, only I would say that from 12u on it will consume your life, not just your summers. We didn't start TB till DD asked to at age 11, and the entire family dynamic has changed. We love it, but if she wasn't the last one at home (she's 14 now, with three older sibs that are already on their own), I don't know how we'd manage. A giant tip of cap to those who handle more!

I hope you'll give your DD some time to relax. It will be a gift for all of you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp