Best batting/hitting training device?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 22, 2015
New to HS ball and was wondering what the opinion what the best batting/hitting tool was to teach my daughter/team on hitting? I coached little league for years and we used a jug toss for training. I was looking at the SKLZ pitching machine. One of my daughters has played softball since age 6 while my oldest started playing as a junior in HS. Looking for something to teach/reinforce hitting to her and the other girls that haven't played much. any help would be appreciated.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
A tee and a screen are all you need.

IMO to teach hitting off a machine pitched @50+ MPH ball adds too many variables into the equation.

If you are teaching mechanics, a tee and front toss (screen for your protection) is all you need...CP

Dec 11, 2010
Don't know what your budget is. You can do a lot with two Bownets, Two Tanner tees and a heavier screen to pitch through. Scrounge as many buckets of softballs as possible. Cut some home plates out of carpet or paint plates on carpet runner.

If you are buying tees, buy regular tees with no arms or gizmos on them. Just regular tees that hold a ball.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...-what-were-your-best-bang-buck-purchases.html

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Your players are old enough to do their own hitting stations. I agree with a net and a tee are the first priority but I would also look at getting some TCB and plastic balls so the players can get more reps in.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
A mixture. The best tool is live BP. When I was JV coach, the V coach did just tee work and they got killed. You have to do regular front toss with spins, and you need them to adjust to the velocity off a machine. The intent of drills is important, ie an action, such as hit to right field or hit the curve, not just form. You don't have time and in a single game format, the game get away quickly. When you use a tee, do so outside on the field as much as possible, so the girls can see where the ball goes.

I agree with this. Especially hitting oppo on the field. It's difficult for girls to visualize situational hitting in a tunnel. If you can set up an infield and runners, while they are waiting for the hit and run oppo station, it's pretty helpful. You HS coaches have it tough with one game, and not much time to prepare for the season. Camera phone is my best hitting aid.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
Tee, front toss, Tee, front toss, front toss Tee. Mix in live pitching if you have a good pitcher to throw strikes if not I think its tough to work on hitting. Nets, tees and balls and learn to pitch strikes from behind a net

Sep 22, 2013
One or more Bownets, quality tees (like Tanner, G-tee or Sklz Pro-X Triple Tee if you want to be fancy), plenty of durable leather balls and buckets for front toss and side toss, and front toss screen so you don't get killed. If you have the cash, the heavy Total Control balls and Total Control hole balls (flexible wiffles) or Anywhere (Mojo) balls are great to incorporate into hitting drills. Golf ball size wiffles with a regular or skinny bat are also a fun way to break things up and teach hand-eye coordination. Live BP is great but you need the pitchers and it's time consuming with a larger group. Just create several hitting stations during each practice and go to work. A few assistant coaches also helps.

Feb 22, 2015
thanks for all the replies, yes, the school has tees and balls, and I guess what I meant to say is that I was looking for something in addition to those tools for hand/eye coordination. if I don't need them, that would be even better (no money spent).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie