batting out of order

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2013
9 hitter bats out of order in the 7th position and makes the last out of the inning, The following inning the 8 hitter bats and pops out, the 9 hitter comes to the plate and has a 2-2 count. The defensive team calls time and tells the home plate umpire the 9 hitter batted out of order the previous inning. The plate umpire calls the 9 hitter and the leadoff hitter out. The leadoff hitter is in the on deck circle. Is this correct?

Mar 31, 2013
Too late at that point.....should have protested it the inning of. I still think this is one of the oddest rules on the books...the whole batter assumes the count of the out of order batter. Just weird in my opinion.

Dec 25, 2010
I belive if you catch it while wrong batter is batting and let her complete her AB, then bring it to ump's attention before another pitch is thrown, she's out ....correct?

Jun 22, 2008
If you bring it to the umpires attention while the incorrect batter is still at bat, the correct batter comes to bat and assumes the current count. If you wait until the incorrect batter has completed their at bat, but before the next pitch is thrown, the batter who should have batted is out and the next batter is the one that follows in the lineup.

If the incorrect batter completes an at bat, and it is not caught prior to the next pitch, the offense has now established a new order in the lineup and you continue from that point.

If you bring it to the umpires attention while the incorrect batter is still at bat, the correct batter comes to bat and assumes the current count. If you wait until the incorrect batter has completed their at bat, but before the next pitch is thrown, the batter who should have batted is out and the next batter is the one that follows in the lineup.

If the incorrect batter completes an at bat, and it is not caught prior to the next pitch, the offense has now established a new order in the lineup and you continue from that point.

Not sure I understand what this means lets look at two scenarios:

1) Exactly what OP described. Is there a new order? In the new inning once #8 bats then the #9 hitter has to come up correct?
2) #9 incorrectly bats in #7 spot and walks, #8 gets a hit now it is #9 turn at bat but she is on second how can this be rectified? since she can't assume the bat without abandoning second which in theory she now can stay at since nobody caught it in time

Jun 22, 2008
#1, in the original post, #9 batted in the 7 spot and was out to end the inning and was not caught by the defense. Since it was not caught prior to the defense leaving the field, #1 should be the next batter. The next inning #8 came to bat and completed their at bat. Once a pitch was thrown to #9 a new order had been established and #9 is the correct batter. The umpire should not have called anyone out.

#2, I have never un into this, but following the strict wording of the rule book, it appears #9 is left on base, you skip their batting spot and move on to #1.

Last edited:
#1, in the original post, #9 batted in the 7 spot and was out to end the inning and was not caught by the defense. Since it was not caught prior to the defense leaving the field, #1 should be the next batter. The next inning #8 came to bat and completed their at bat. Once a pitch was thrown to #9 a new order had been established and #9 is the correct batter. The umpire should not have called anyone out.

#2, I have never un into this, but following the strict wording of the rule book, it appears #9 is left on base, you skip their batting spot and move on to #1.

Thanks...I have never seen the number 2 situation I described either, but you gotta figure somewhere, sometime it's been done

Oct 19, 2009
Coaches, when you notice a batter is batting out of order, let her complete the at bat. This is a freebie for the defense if they are paying attention. If the batter gets on base, then you make your case to the umpire and she's out. If she gets out, she's still out. In this case, you already got the out, keep your mouth shut and hope they bat out of order again. Then you get another freebie. Bottom line, at least in ASA the defensive coach gets their choice of taking the outcome of the play or the out.

What if she hits into a double play? Take the outcome and be quiet!

What if there is a runner on third and her ball in play results in the runner being thrown out at the plate but the original batter was safe on first? I would take that outcome and remain quiet.

Last edited: